March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, April 12, 2024

Shadow's First 100-miles~

 The month of April has not been as pleasant as I'd hoped. The trees are now almost in full bloom, the bulbs are also blooming & the wind is blowing almost every day.  With the dry air & lack of moisture, I have all the hoses out & have been watering almost daily.  

At the park~
Since today was mild & the winds had backed off, I was ready to get Shadow out for another ride.  This was my sixth ride & I feel like I'm getting more used to the bike.  
Burn to the north of the park~
I could smell the burn, before I saw it.  These fields had already burned last year when there was a fire just off the trail near here.  I don't know if there's some future plan for the area.  I couldn't decide which way I wanted to go, but at the last minute decided to turn south.  It's nice to have the option of riding more challenging grades.
Wild Plums in full bloom~
As soon as I smelled the sweetness in the air, I was happy I'd decided on this route.  The Wild Plums are plentiful on this section of the trail & the smell is one of my favorites!  From what I've read, the fruit which ripens in July, is good too.  I may have to time a visit to correspond & try some. 
The blooms~
 It wasn't long at all before I was at the White Cloud Trestle.  I'm riding more in sync with the bike now, going through the gears & matching them to the assist levels.  On the flats I turn the motor off, but once I'm on a grade, my knees let me know.  I can feel the additional weight of the bike.  I shift to eco mode & that bit of assist makes up for the bike's additional weight.
Shadow on the Trestle~
This section of the trail is becoming a favorite now.  It's never seemed to get as much use as the trail closer to Council Bluffs.  The surface is less well maintained, so it's a little more interesting to avoid the ruts, branches etc.  
9-miles south of Malvern
I knew Butch would be arriving in Omaha with a delivery today, but we didn't expect he'd have time to overnight at home.  I was surprised when his text came in saying he'd be "Home for dinner."  I decided I had enough time to go one more mile & make it an even ten miles each way.  
Turn around spot~
Another reason I like it out this way, is the quiet.  I stopped several times just to listen to it.  If that makes any sense at all.  Quiet is a hard thing to find anymore.  I still remember the year we visited my aunt & uncle in WY over Thanksgiving.  It had snowed in Ranchester overnight, but we woke to brilliant sunshine.  Butch & I took an early morning walk & stopped to listen to the quiet.  With the fresh snow & cold - the air tinkled.
A little more water in the creeks~
I was surprised to see a little more water flowing in the creeks here, than further north.  
Wild Phlox~ 
I hit the brakes when I caught sight of the first spot of purple!  Color!  
100-miles~
Not long after, Shadow's odometer turned over its first 100 miles!  This bike is doing what I'd hoped.  Giving me the opportunity to ride further, along with the ability to adjust the amount of effort I want to employ.  My legs are still getting used to the slightly different frame.  I've been using Smokey's saddle.  I'd sent the one the bike came with to be recovered.  (I did not like brown grips or seat on this bike, so changed them out to black.)
Shadow & the Big Bike!
Shadow insists on having a photo taken at all the spots I've used over the last few years for mandatory bike photo opportunities.  It's funny how a regular sized bike can look So small!  I finished the trip of 20-miles in just under two hours.  My average speed was ten mph.  In two days of riding & 30-miles, the battery had dropped two bars.  (I did shift up to Turbo just for fun on the return for a mile.)  I'm still on a learning curve but really enjoying the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~