March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Back Home in Iowa~

 It's Good to be Home!  It's a great feeling to be able to say home & feel like Iowa - now - really is Home!  We both found ourselves yearning for the wide-open spaces by our last days in the Pacific Northwest.  I really had to laugh when Butch said he missed seeing out!  The exact feelings I'd expressed to him all those years ago, when I'd first arrived in his native state.  
Farah & me~   What 13 degrees Looks like :-)
 Our friends Linus & Kay were waiting for us at Eppley.  It was wonderful to see their smiling faces!  We'd returned to a mid-west of snow & cold.  Burr!  Did it ever feel cold!  To go from a couple weeks mostly in the 40's - to the low teens was a switch! 

Once in Glenwood, there was more snow on the ground, than we'd seen so far.  Butch had to plug in his truck - so we could go pick up Nika.  The big diesel engine was cold!  Nika had given up on us...
Her expression was one of total disbelief, almost shock, when we walked in Chelsea's door.  Chelsea said it took Nika four-days to warm up to her, but after that she settled in.  (Chelsea works for Rover.com & what a great service they provide.)  After a good run in the yard - she was back doing her little happy prance & all was forgiven.
Farah~
Today, I couldn't wait to get out to see Farah.  Margie had been a super friend, checking on her twice.  The second time, making the trip out to our storage to find Farah's winter blanket!  The drive to the farm was dicey - with the snow & ice on the roads.  Since the forecast temperature was to drop to -35 for a while - I'd been worried.  Thankfully, it didn't go that low, but negative teens was still way colder than anything Farah had ever experienced.  After all, it's only her second winter here.
World of white~
My brush pile really shows up - with all the snow.  I look back at photos of my grandparent's house in Creston, about 1952 & wonder if we'll get to see that kind of winter?
It's beautiful, crunchy & Cold!  At least all the white highlights the work I've done along the creek.  The thermals I bought on sale in Seaside are really coming in handy now!
Merlin's Ball~
I still have a couple posts I want to write about our trip, we enjoyed it so much!  But it's nice to be back!  Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. It's so wonderful to have you home~ I love your grandparents home. What a charmer. "There's NO place like home"~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we came to THIS little gem of prairie a decade ago, our horses were SHOCKED by everything about it. Shocked & dismayed, maybe - I know I was. But, we've all (mostly) adapted over the years. I don't care who sniffs at me for blanketing my horses (& there are some, but my opinion that they are negligent with their animals does not worry them either). We have been almost a month with the temps hardly ever getting above -30*C and getting as low as -43*C (that is -45*F, I believe), so for my guys it is Blankets ON & INside the barn every night. Adapted or not, they appreciate the care, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can appreciate what was a dramatic change indeed! We're still learning to appreciate what this state has to offer in the way of weather challenges :-) As you - we do what we feel is right for the animal. I get chilled just thinking about those temperatures!

      Delete

Always Welcome~