March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Sub-zero Cold!

 To say that it's a bone-chilling cold would be a terrific understatement!  The sunshine is so deceptive.  I wake to it, open the back door to let Nika out & get hit with an artic like blast of freezing wind!
No lie!
As is mentioned around town, it's not even the cold, it's the wind that makes it brutal for man & beast, dropping the feels like temperatures down into the double digits. 

There was a knock on the door this morning.  A tall young man told me he'd just slid into our mailbox!  I went out to look.  There was just a slight dent at the bottom of the mailbox door & his car had a light scrap down the upper portion of the window & frame.  I shook his hand & thanked him for being so conscientious!  I came in & called the city road crew.  They were out in about 15-min. to plow it again & put down more deicer.  There's nothing like living in small town Iowa!
This morning~
When we heard the weather report last night, we bundled up & headed out to Farah's barn.  No one around, we tried to turn on the isle lights.  Butch said fluorescence blubs won't light in that kind of cold!  The old mare at the end of the barn had a light on in her stall, that helped.  We'd brought a flash light too.
Everything frozen~
Farah was in her stall, it wasn't until we opened the big door, the wind whistled through.  When it's closed she has protection.  Not to say she didn't seem happy to get her blanket!  I told her to go roll in the snow to knock off the mud from last time she wore it!  :-)  Plenty of cookies later, we left for home & dinner.
Light powder~
The powder snow just blows around in the wind, sending shining crystals of light through the air & covering everything.
Front porch~
I go out a couple times a day to sweep the porch & deck, but usually before I'm done, the sifting snow returns.
My potted grass~
This is the most successful plant, I left in a pot this winter!  I bought it passing by Walmart & wish I'm bought more.  It was beautiful all year & is now a pretty golden color.  I'm concerned about my trees...  The two Jantar's out front are close to the low end their hardiness zone.  I'm glad we kept them watered during the dry fall.
Nika & wind blows waves of snow~
I let Nika out a couple times a day & she loves it!  You can tell how deep some of the snow has drifted at the bottom of the hill.  As we walked out to the camper for our evening hot drink last night, Butch decided to see if she'd follow us off leash?  NO!  Away she went!  By the time we were heading back to the house, she'd had her fun & was waiting to follow us inside!  

2 comments:

  1. I hear you!
    Our horses have taken to coming into the barnyard by dark for weeks now. They seem to want supper right there, using the barn as a windbreak. By bedtime they are all in a row, staring at the house, mentally prodding me to come pit them up in the barn. Blankets do help, but SO thankful in bad weather to have a good, insulated barn!
    Hope your mild temps come back sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think an insulated barn would be almost a necessity in the kind of cold you have!

      Delete

Always Welcome~