March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, February 15, 2018

The First Two Steps~

Another warm day - mid-40's - but overcast.  Absence of sunshine is something that doesn't happen often here.  One of the many reasons we love it even when it's cold & it's cold a lot!   With the wind due, along with a 20 degree drop in temperature for tomorrow, I headed out to the barn again today, wanting to build on where I'd left off yesterday.
Gold leaving, Chocolate coming in~
Farah met me at the gate to her stall & started looking for her cookie, which was in my pocket.  I'd forgotten carrots yesterday - she appreciated them today.  I brought my saddle into the barn & saddled her there.  The four horses with their heads out over their stall doors have been behaving much better when we're in the isle.  Probably because I give them all two small cookies when I leave.  Being stuck in stalls 24/7 - I figure it's the least I can do to improve their day.
Much better~
Much more relaxed than yesterday, only a couple yells & she settled in to her trot right away.  Her head may not look it, but it was lower & she wasn't as tense.  I know how much she likes routine & work.  Today she was ready to work.
An ear on me!
I was really happy when the ear finally turned my way.  A friend who trains on the east coast had posted an article;  Spring Checkup - confirming Farah's attitude is somewhat common.  There were some good tips that included working with transitions, which I started doing today.  A little more difficult with a lounge line, but she does respond well to the tone of my voice.

Frank has a short video on You Tube explaining the purpose of his 7 Safety Step program.  I'd forgotten my laminated card, but remembered the first & second anyway.  The first, Bonding has never been easy with Farah.  She likes to think she's in control & it's only the rare occasion she accepts much actual attention.   Regardless, I scratched her favorite places & it seemed appreciated, as usual.

Next; Step 2, - Take & Give/Pressure & Release.  I had to back her into the corner of the arena with plywood on the walls to keep her from backing up every time I'd ask for her head.  I was beginning to think we'd be at it for hours when she finally surprised me & Gave!  I know, this really doesn't sound like much.  I do get it from the saddle of course, but it took more work than I thought it would.  Getting her to keep it there for more than a second - then giving the release at the correct moment is key & I managed it. 
All done~
When we were done, I bridled her, mounted & we did some nice collected trotting!  She wasn't huffy, didn't rush, didn't try to constantly increase her speed - we had fun!  Dean's advice;  "Always end on a good note & never push for more - once you've achieved your win."  (The flip side of that advice, was to never take on a project you can't win!)

It's good to be in out of the wind & have such a nice facility all to ourselves.  Next week we'll work on the next steps.  As long as the trails are so sloppy, it's sure better than not riding at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~