March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Two Rivers - A Year Later~

It's nice to have a friend that's also chomping on the bit to get out for a ride.  I was watching the weather all week.  A plan to travel over to Two Rivers State Recreation Area, in NE for a February ride, was put in place.  Another 100+ mile round-trip, but with open trails - we couldn't resist. 

My time in the arena with Farah was well spent.  She was standing in the sun when I arrived & was totally relaxed.  She loaded into the trailer, jumped out, turned, jumped in & we were on our way :-)  I met John & Margie at the new Love's on Hwy 34.  About an hour on the road & we driving in the park gate.  We paid for our passes & went to the horse area to find it covered in snow, ice & slush.  We decided to go park in the paved area just past the cabooses.
The trails~
For whatever reason, I expected to find conditions similar to what they were last year this same weekend, but I was wrong.  The lawn areas were snow covered with ice underneath, from the frequent freezing & thaws. The trails were about 3" deep in snow that was starting to melt.
The Platte River~
It was just a bit slippery to say the least.  We decided to tour around on the paving & I enjoyed seeing all the nice camping that's available here.  Several spots are right along the river.  We crossed over to see the river, where there was no sign of the ice breaking up yet.  I'll take a few more warm days for that to happen & we may not get those quite yet.

Informative signage~

I had never heard of the Oto Indians, they certainly lived in a beautiful spot.  A spot so desirable to the white man, that like all the other tribes, they were soon displaced.
A dry access road~
I found one of the roads we'd ridden last year, it was the driest of the ride & probably just off the park.  The sun felt so warm & there was no wind!
Farah~
This park covers 644 land acres & has 320 water acres, in seven sandpit lakes.  The lakes are stocked for fishing & the park has an active hunting season.  The Rangers mentioned that Geese hunters might be out, so Farah wore her orange rump rug.
Sycamore Tree~
Margie had given me a Sycamore seedball from her tree a couple weeks ago.  Today she pointed out the tree itself.  What a beauty!  The white bark is a nice contrast this time of year & this tree was still loaded with it's seeds.  I picked one as we rode underneath.
Margie & John
We found a couple trails that I hadn't ridden on my last two visits - that was fun!  The big sandy field was fun too!  John menioned that way back when, horses could go anywhere in the park, no trails needed.
The two of us~
Farah gave me a very nice ride, I think she was as happy to be out as I was.  Margie & John were gracious enough to let her lead most of the day.  She is such a good leader - she sets her pace & these two Missouri Fox Trotters have no problem keeping up with her walk.  
Toward the River~
We did want to go ride the river trail & got within 100-ft. when we came to a large depression, full of water & frozen solid.  It extended past the barbed wire fence on one side & into a wetland on the other, so no way around.  We regretfully turned back & found a couple other trails to ride before calling it a day.

With another cold snap moving in - we'll have to hope that things thaw out soon & the ground gets a chance to dry out.  I want to come back when that happens - so pretty here!

2 comments:

  1. I love Farah's halter, it really suits her. I would love to have one of your fancy Tory halters, but I have to settle for a cheaper version. I finally found one similar and bought it this week (and blogged it today). Let's see some close-ups of your pretty halter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I've go to go back & look at that post! Both her headstall & halter are on the tack page. Have the same halter, only in black now.

      Delete

Always Welcome~