March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, February 26, 2018

Weatherin' Winter~

My shoulder is still very stiff & sore after my slip & fall on ice last Monday.  Butch tried to share his cold with me, after I'd asked him to keep it to himself!  I spent most of  the later part of last week, feeling under the weather.  Saturday was one of the ugliest days we've had.  Gray, freezing rain & cold.  I think everyone stayed in.  Just the smartest thing to do when things are so bad.  Yesterday was much better, the melt again underway.

With the forecast for 50's today & sunshine - all I could think of was, Ride!  Ride!  Told Butch I planned to take the trailer out & see if the trail was dry.  Then - I went outside :-(  Everything still frozen, with standing water on top of the ice.  Getting the Bronco up the gravel road to the farm was a muddy slip & slide.
Silver gene~
I'd noticed last during our ride a week ago, that Farah's mane was showing more silver than I'd ever seen!  All the new growth is a light silver.  I can't imagine it will change from it's dark color, but still fun to see it different from what's been normal.  I have to wonder at the change.
Yes!  Shedding~
At the farm, a truck was parked across the drive down to the barn, so I parked on top of the hill.  That's when I realized that I'd forgotten Farah's tote.  I've kept it at home, since the tack room isn't heated & I didn't want stuff freezing.

Thankfully, I keep a shedding blade, brush, pick etc. in a tote for just such an emergency :-)  Farah was out enjoying the sun, but was more than happy to come in for a good scrub down.  I worked on her for about an hour, until my shoulder said; "No more!"
What was that?
I didn't bring my saddle, so we worked through our routine.  My girl was much better!  I think she enjoys getting to move out.  She let loose with a couple big bucks both directions, when I asked for a canter.  All good.  It took me forever again when I asked her to give me her head at the girth - Step 3.  I wasn't giving up, she knew it, I eventually I got what I wanted - if only for an instant.  The wind always seems to be blowing at the farm & it sounded like a jet taking off overhead.

My plan is to keep at it - maybe if she gets enough one-on-one - she won't be as rowdy as usual the next couple months.  We both want to get Out - but now it's a waiting game.  If the wet weather ends & the winds blow, maybe things will dry up!

2 comments:

  1. Farah is looking so lovely and ready for spring~ The ice will soon be a thing of the past and so will our homes, as I expect to be out riding most every day with you~~~ : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we missed spring & moved right into the heat of summer... who knew!

      Delete

Always Welcome~