March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, July 6, 2019

50th Greenfield Class Reunion~


I received a call from my cousin Larry's wife - also one of my first school friends.  The class I started school with, fifty-years ago invited me to their reunion.  It took me a minute for Patty's words to sink in.  Was she kidding?  There's no way we could be old enough for that number to have crept up! 
Where Kindergarten was held~
Since dinner was to be held the day after the Fourth, we didn't have specific plans & Butch agreed it would be a fun trip.
The Opera House, Warren Cultural Center~
The ladies were also planning to meet for lunch at the Olive Branch.  We arrived in time for me to attend.  Patty & one of my best early childhood friends Susan would introduce me to people I either hadn't met, or possibly didn't remember.  Those of us who'd started school in the church basement, had a connection that the newcomers didn't really understand :-) One classmate said she would have remembered me better, if I knew the color of the floor mat, I'd used for nap time!  I do have a photo of me holding it, in black & white!
We filled two-tables!
Larry & Patty had attended Dad's graveside service in 2012, we'd had time to catch up a little with each other then.  But Susan & I hadn't seen each other since a summer her family visited mine in Boulder.  We were probably in our early teens.
Sign for our Class of 69~
That evening, the square filled with cars & we filed into the Warren Cultural Center.  So well organized - with name tags on the registration table.  The next line, was at the top of the stairs, for the bar! :-)  It was a full room of people talking non-stop!  I would turn one way & see a face I remembered, or someone would come up to me & say;  "Connie?!"  There were 68 in the graduating class, twelve have passed away.

Before dinner, the photographer wanted to get a class photo on the stairs.  Sounds easy right?  It's not!  He kept telling us to move down another step, then another.  Things got pretty friendly to say the least!  The guys just couldn't help themselves & offered to put ladies on their knees :-)
Greenfield H.S. 50th Class Reunion~
One classmate mentioned something about being unsteady on her feet!  That really brought out a laugh!  We told her that if she went down, we'd all go down with her!

Besides catching up on where everyone lived, what our occupations had been, or still were, the Hot Topic was Grand-kids!  Most everyone had them, everyone loved them & we all agreed that they were Way more fun than kids! :-)

The organizers had hoped to have people bring enough old photos for a slide presentation.  I was one of the only ones who brought any.  They were from way back when.  I've promised those involved I'd forward them on.
My birthday party 2-11-1957
Doug is up front, along with my cousin Larry on the right.  There were so many kids, Mom couldn't get us all the photo!
Connie, Doug, Patty & Susan~
The four of us played badminton at Susan's every summer. Grandma lived catty corner from Doug.  Susan was just a block away, making it easy to continue our friendship during my summer visits.  The last time we'd been together was 1964.  Doug has become the most reconized of our class. He's the Director of Animal Health at the Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo.
Patty, cousin Larry & me~
As the family of our childhood gets smaller year by year... ties become closer. Though we seldom see each other, when we do, it seems like yesterday.
The class invited some of their teachers & a very special Optometrist. When I heard someone say that Dr. Purtzer was with us for dinner, I couldn't believe my ears.
Dr. Purtzer & me~
My Grandmother Carrie worked for Dr. Purtzer for many years before she moved to the farm.  He instantly remembered her & said that she was one of his very best friends.  He also immediately remembered my mother & her two sisters.  I had been into his office as a child to visit grandma & he even remembered that!  What a wonderful man, he made me feel like a kid again!

Sat. morning after driving past the farm, we had coffee in Greenfield with Susan, Jeff & a couple other classmates. Before leaving for home, we took Nika on a walk around town.  I was stunned by the hollyhocks in this beautiful yard!  We stopped to chat, the kids were playing with a fast remote controlled car & wanted to pet Nika.
Jennifer's beautiful front yard~
Since my black hollyhocks have done just outstanding this year, we're going to exchange seeds next time we're in town.  It was a really fun time for me.  Butch was the long-suffering husband to attend - but he really enjoyed meeting some of the people who were in Mom's photo's from my childhood.

I'm so thankful that these wonderful people included me & my friend Marilyn too!  She's now lives in Kentucky!  I asked if she ever attended the Derby?  That brought up the story of how a blind date to the Derby - became marriage!  Plenty of stories, plenty of years to have lived them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~