March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Persistance~

A couple weeks ago, as I watered the flower basket hanging off the back deck, I noticed that it looked a little rough.  Reaching in, I found the start of a bird nest!  No way, just off the back door area was not where I wanted another bird nest!

I removed it, watered the basket & called it good.  Well, each day, there would be the start of yet another nest!  I had no idea what kind of bird it was - but I wasn't going to go through the bird thing - outside the back door this time - again!

Between Butch & I, we removed no less than six nest starts in six days.  Finally, on a Saturday morning, Butch looked & found one brown speckled egg, No nest!  Just laying on the dirt in the middle of the flower.  Butch threw it away - saying - that would be the end of it!

Sunday morning, we were sitting out with our latte's when a pair of Cardinals landed on the deck railing, not five-feet from us!  I'm sure they are the same pair that hatched their young in my front artificial plant last year!  They gave us a resounding cussing out!  We couldn't believe that they would understand what was up?  Let alone what we'd done!  I felt horrible...
Hatched chicks!
Monday morning, I was at the kitchen window, when I noticed a lot of activity by what I'm sure - was the same pair of cardinals...  Back & forth they were flying from the front porch.  I went out & sure enough, here was the start of yet another nest in my beautiful front flower basket!
Daddy visits~
When Butch came home for lunch, I showed him. This time, we just had to leave them be... That kind of persistence, all to have their nest here, under cover of course, just had to be rewarded...  So, again... I'm tippy-toeing in & out our own front door,  to keep from disturbing them.

On the first of July, I could just see three speckled eggs in the nest. By Monday the 8th, I got out the ladder & peeked again to find three tiny chicks! I'd not seem them last year until they had feathers, that basket was hung higher.

I was amazed to see that their skin too is red! I stealthily stood inside the storm door with my camera at the ready - to get photos of the male coming in to feed the chicks! He is very brazen & will even hang around sometimes when I'm watering.
Gorgeous!
They are so incredibly beautiful with the flowers, they almost look artificial!  The pair take turns coming in to feed their chicks, but the female is much faster at leaving, if I go out.  We put in a bird feeder & filled it with black sunflower seeds.  I found it empty this morning.  We also had to install a squirrel baffle.  The squirrel's feasted on the first of the seeds we put in!
Feeder by the Timber~
 I'm hopeful that the Cardinals will come by this winter too, since I can see the feeder from the Cabin.  I look forward to getting some beautiful photos against a snow covered landscape.

We both think now - Cardinals can probably read & have read our Backyard Wildlife Habitat sign!

We've got about a week until the chicks will be ready to fly - if the schedule is similar to last year.  Even though - they're a month later than last summer, when all this started in June.  Maybe the wet spring had something to do with it.  My poor flower is taking a bit of a beating, but it's worth it to help this determined couple out!  Next year, I'll try putting up a basket just for them - like that will work!  :-)


2 comments:

  1. I've never seen a Cardinal. I've only seen a "blue bird" once, in Maryland. I do have this friendly spotted bird that has taken to our yard this week, but she ate EVERY SINGLE blueberry off my tiny bush so I'm not speaking to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand why! I miss my blueberries So much!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~