March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, October 5, 2019

Girls Day Out!

Here it was, already my last Sat. in WA.  The time, as usual, had gone way too fast!  I didn't just spend all my time with Farah!  My schedule was planned around Grand-daughter Cassidy's 16th Birthday!  The last time I'd here to celebrate, was 2016, just prior to our move to IA.

Mason & Dave had a full day planned & so did we!  Up & on the road early, we stopped at Starbucks before heading to Ferry dock.  The three of us are all rock hounds, so a day trip to Whidbey Island for walking the beach sounded perfect.  We arrived at the Edmonds ferry in record time - traffic was light on a Saturday.


Just light rain, we were so lucky to be one of the last cars loading, without the wait for another boat.  Once we'd boarded, I hurried up front to admire the views.  The three of us were standing there, when suddenly Courtney said;  "We're going to Kingston!  We're on the wrong ferry!"  It had dawned on me about the same time, we should have been on the Mukilteo ferry to Clinton!
Cassidy & Grammy~  I'm still taller!  :-)  Not!
You'd have thought we were all newcomers to the state!  But, what the heck, it had been a long time since we'd been on the peninsula.  The rain had stopped, the sky was clearing & it was going to be one of those days when Washington pulls out all the stops.
Tug boat leaving Kingston~
We gave Dave a call, telling him of our change of plans & decided to make the loop! In all the years we lived Butch's home state, we'd never visited Port Townsend. Courtney started telling me of a beach there - great for finding sea glass! As if I needed any convincing.

On our route, we crossed the Hood Canal Bridge. Butch & I had gone that way with the camper, our last trip with the kids in June of 2015, on our way to Fort Flagler. Crossing this beautiful bridge - new since we first moved to WA in 1981 - is so much fun.

It wasn't much of a drive until we were entering Port Townsend.  What a beautiful, quaint seaport town.  The Peters family had been there before.  Courtney knew of one of the best restaurant for lunch.  Clam chowder had been on my list for days & I finally got to indulge!  Yum!  We took time to walk the town & do a little shopping.
Downtown Port Townsend~
We found a shop that sold rocks, all kinds of rocks, we were there awhile...
Flowers everywhere~
Cassidy & I left Courtney to check out the tea shop & were amazed at the variety of tea's! We both sampled & ended up buying tea to bring home. When Courtney caught up to us, we decided if the purpose of the day had been to rock-hound, we'd better head for the beach!
Point Wilson Lighthouse~
The parking was far from full, we grabbed our buckets & started hiking along the water. The temperature was perfect, a light breeze, blue water & fluffy clouds. I admired the amazing views at least as much as I searched for agates & glass!  Until - Courtney & Cassidy started finding cool stuff!
Great Blue Heron~
Out across the water, this guy caught my eye.  I had to zoom all the way in, but managed to get his photo, riding on the kelp.
Me & my bucket :-)
All those colored buckets we'd bought the grand-kids over the years, to fill with goodies, are still in use today!  I filled mine with rock, I later had to sort down to only my favorites, to pack for the trip home.
Looking down at the car deck~
We made a total of three ferry rides!  From Edmonds to Kingston, Keystone Ferry from Port Townsend to Coupeville & finally the Clinton to Mukilteo run. Below is our landing in Coupeville.


By the time we'd loaded on to the Salish, the sun was setting over the Cascades.  It was a stunning end to a magnificent day.   We stopped in Mukilteo for a quick dinner at Ivars, before heading home.  Who can ever get enough seafood?  :-)   

2 comments:

  1. You and your northern ferries. *lol*

    The last time we visited America I wanted to gather all my old friends in one place for a party. It was up to them. The one who offered to host lives on Bainbridge Island. Everyone was invited, only 2 people committed to coming. As we made our way over on the quick ferry, we got a call from the only other guest and he said, "I'm so sorry, I'm on the ferry to Bremerton." Yah...that sucks. That takes a full hour to get there and back, and by then our gathering would be wrapping up. The poor guy, a Seattle native, had tried to take a ferry by foot by the first time. In fact, we'd seen the confusion from our car in the ferry waiting area. They opened up for foot traffic but it wasn't clear the destination, and since the time was correct, he boarded.

    I guess we shouldn't have coming home parties on islands anymore?: )

    But now I know about Bainbridge. HIPPY ISLAND, with SOFTWARE TECHS AS FERRY DECK WALKERS.

    So many ferries in Washington that I didn't know about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not ridden the Bainbridge route, but love them all!

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~