March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

To Pilchuck Veterinary Clinic~

I met Mary & Farah at Pilchuck Veterinary Clinic.  I would have to leave in time to return to Duvall for Granddaughter Cassidy's Birthday dinner!  I had no idea how long the appointment would take.  Arriving first, I was watching as Mary pulled in & could see that Farah looked distressed.  I called out to her & she instantly turned her head my direction.  As we went to unload - she was shaking! The first time ever I'd seen her shake...

Both Mary & I think that she was worried that Mary was hauling her away.  The other times she'd gone in Mary's trailer, I'd been there, or another horse.  Once she realized that I was there & where she was, the trembling stopped.

It had been September 28, 2016 since Dr. Holohan had seen Farah for a float.  Here, in Iowa, we were happy to find Dr. Black at Nebraska Equine.  Dr. Black did Farah's yearly physical, float & vaccinations in March of 17.  After the problem with vaccinations that year, in 18 we did teeth in April & vaccinations a month later on the farm.
Farah checks out the scale :-)
 It had been over a year too, since she'd been seen by a Vet.  I was anxious to see what Brandi found.  She had worked diligently, for several years on deep pockets at the back of Farah's mouth.  Dr. Black hadn't said much about them, so I could only hope they hadn't gotten any worse.
I was right!  :-)
First, time to weigh on a scale again in four years!  Dr. Black had used a tape & his result was accurate to what I knew Farah's weight to run in 18.  Both Mary & I thought she had lost condition & gained fat, once back in WA.  I told Mary that she would run between 1070 & 1100 lbs.

Dr. Holohan explained that she had replaced some muscle with fat, but that the muscle would come back quickly.  I was surprised that her weight wasn't higher & happy she stayed within her healthy range.  Heart rate, 36 :-)  Temperature 98, exactly right.
On the scale~
While we discussed her & her weight - Farah stood on the scale with total aplomb!
Farah is sleepy :-)
We had great news on all counts!  The pockets were greatly reduced & had partially filled in!  The float took about half the time I was used to!   We both had a refresher course on the benefits of Adequan, which had always been a part of our yearly maintenance plan.  It's always a relief to know that the gold girl is healthy!

Farah loaded back into Mary's trailer like the seasoned traveler she is.  I waved goodby & got back to Duvall just in time to leave for Anthony's on Kirkland's waterfront!

With rainy weather & a full schedule for us both, my final ride on this visit, next~

1 comment:

  1. This story reminded me that I’d wanted to bring Ollie along to the vet to give Farah courage. She really did shake and sweat until she saw her human mama. I think she feared she was going away again.

    She was keyed up up but super responsive and happy during our first ride together yesterday with Amy on her mellow Vinnie and Greta aboard Tango. What a strong girl Farah is! And sooooo kind to her rider. We like one another very very much. I think I’ll never be you Connie, but she seems to think I’m an acceptable place holder 🥰

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~