March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Riding at Bracken~

Sunday, was a busy day all-round, but the sun was shining & Mary & I were both determined to get in another ride.  Leaving on Tue., I knew Monday would be too busy to make another trip to the farm.  Today would be the day.  Besides, it was important for Farah to show Mary her favorite lunch spots! :-) 
Connie & Farah on the trail~
I asked Mary to take us on the trails the way she usually rides. It was the beautiful sections through the ever growing Cedars. The day was so spectacular. October was always one of my favorite months to ride. In Washington & in Iowa too (At least until the Asian Beetles hatch.).  It's hard not to appreciate the thin, golden light & rich smell of leaves.
Mary & Ollie~
Always appreciative of the sword ferns, I could tell they'd had a very good year. Probably in part to the record rain in July. The trailer parking had been completely full when we arrived, a little later than we'd planned. Mary had to park her rig off to the side, but we didn't see a single rider until our way back.

When we'd finished riding Mary's trails, Farah & I took over as we led the way to Tin Bridge.  With the Whitehorse trail closed between Arlington & here, I was glad that the bridge remained open.  Farah didn't hesitate a stride!
On our bridge~
Hearing the thud, thud of her shoes on the wooden planks was a music to my ears. We didn't seen any Salmon in the North Fork of the Stillaquamish flowing beneath us.
Shadow Riders~
 On the far side, Green Valley opened ahead of us.  As beautiful & as green as ever, with the hay all cut.
Stimson Ridge above the valley~
Our favorite riding spot loomed over us on the far side of the emerald valley.  I wish I'd had the time to take Mary up there, hopefully on another visit.  The picnic table was still there!  Mary was pretty impressed that our lunch spot actually had a table :-)
Enjoying the water of the Stilly~
After lunch, it took more than one pass to find the tiny trail through the trees to the river.  The start was hard to find, with the weeds five feet tall.  Farah remembered - the second time by - we took the turn.
My favorite view~
 Being between the ears again was sheer bliss...  We rode back to the bridge & across before taking the other trail going under the bridge.
Back to Tin Bridge~
That trail was easy to find & we came out on the much heavier rock. A fisherman had just caught a large salmon & his dog was trying to help him land it.
Fishing!
Mary took some great photos of him & they exchanged information.
Kisses :-)
 In the meantime, I was enjoying every minute with my mare.  Each minute I knew would have to last me through the months until I can visit again.  Butch teased me - saying I would just come home to re-pack for the next trip!
Along the Stillaquamish~
We did try to ride a section of the Whitehorse, I was hoping to show Mary the slide, but the blackberry had taken over the trail. It was just high enough & tangled enough it would catch the horses legs. Farah was still game to go on, but I wasn't.

On our route back, we had our running hill & yes, we did Run! I warned Mary, to beware at the top, telling her the story of the day Dena I blasted up the hill - spooking a flock of turkey buzzards! Both mares had jumped ten-feet sideways.  We both narrowly managed to keep our seat!

It was dusk again by the time we were back at the trailer. We decided on dinner in Arlington before the drive back to the farm. It had been so much fun to be back in Farah's saddle, riding our old trails. The horses were happy to be home & stuck their noses in fresh hay. I stood in Farah's stall - in the darkened barn - feeding her carrots as fast as she could eat them. She knows now, that when the carrots come out & I get sad, I'll not be back for a while.

Even sad, my spirit is much lighter, knowing Farah seems happy & relaxed in her new abode. She's back on a hillside with mountain views, has a new friend in Mary's young black filly & is back to her old self. She & Mary seem to get on well.  Mary & I did some brainstorming about Farah's future both with Mary & with me too! :-)  I'm looking forward to future visits with my gold girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~