March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Farah's Favorite Place~

The first day of October & another day of sunshine!  We had Farah's trip to Pilchuck Vet scheduled for tomorrow, having already changed it once to take advantage of a clear day.  I wanted to ride out from Victoria again to see if I could find our way back to Pilchuck creek.
A golden morning~
 Since it's a longer ride, we didn't go around the mountain or up to the Monument.  Instead, we started off the shortest way I knew, to reach the eastern trails.  I thought for sure the start of the trail I was looking for was overgrown, but no!  Just as I'd about given up hope, there it was!  There was excitement in my voice, when knew we were on the right track!  Of course, it was such an amazing day any ride had to be the Best of rides!
Big Western Red Cedar & Doug Fir & my much loved & missed ferns, aong the trail~
It had always been Farah's favorite summer spot. On hot days, we'd make the long trek through the shaded trails.  Once in a while I'd remove my boots & we'd both soak our feet in the creek.  Farah would doze off, while I gazed at the pristine, quite landscape around us. I'd promised Farah last winter; somehow, someway, we would ride again on our old trails & she would soak her legs at her favorite spot. 
Farah "clearing trail"~
  The single track, trail, with young trees crowding in on both sides, is as beautiful as can be imagined.  I dismounted to stretch my legs.  Farah took full advantage of all the rain-washed greenery :-)
 
 The turn I'd found, is only the first of several, but from that point on, memory served me well!  We rode through the small stand of cedar plantings, taller now!  Next, through the lush & heavy greenery of the trails along the river.  A system where it's easy to get lost, since there's no real high spots to gain perspective.  We looked for landmarks over our shoulders, to recognize on the return trip, as we rode.

With Farah in the lead, she was just ready to step into the creek, when we both saw something splashing in the water!  Sure enough, Salmon were spawning in the rock area's just upstream of our entry point.  What a thrill!  It had been years since I'd seen salmon in this creek.  They used to be so abundant in the waterways above the Homestead.  In the early 90's - when Butch & I rode - the horses at first - would refuse to enter!
Mary & Ollie
Both horses stepped in & Farah played in the water with her nose. Ollie acted like an old pro & walked right out into the middle.
Farah flipping water~
 Farah promptly took up her napping position!  Woe to either Ollie or me, if we dared to interrupt her snooze!  Ollie's eye's too, were getting heavy as his head dropped lower & lower...  I sat in the saddle, watching as the wind blew the tops of the trees.  Bald Eagles sailed overhead - finally landing in the very top of the tallest tree.  Waiting, I'm sure until we'd leave so they could get back to fishing.
Longer ride?  No problem, another lunch break!
I missed a turn on our way back & we did a few extra miles of some truly beautiful trails. New signs with trail names - were hung from the trees. Eventually, I recognized where we'd come out.  I knew the relatively easy ride I'd planned, was now going to end with the big climb from the very bottom, back to the top!

This route would include our running hill.  Both horses were ready for a run. Farah had already seen people pushing their bikes up the hill & any bike at all is fair game! I gave a shout; "Horses on your left!" as we flew past!

It was dusk as we reached the trailer. We'd ridden thirty-miles in two-days. The horses were loving it, we were loving it & I knew it would all come to an end way too soon :-( By the time we'd returned to the farm & bedded the horses in, I was past my curfew :-)

Courtney said the next morning that granddaughter Cassidy had come downstairs about 9:30 p.m. & said; "Grammy is late!" :-)

Tomorrow, our trip to Pilchuck Vet~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~