March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, March 29, 2020

Walkin' The Wabash ~

After a somewhat stormy Sat., Sunday dawned a ten!  With so many gray days last week, we both wanted to get out somewhere & enjoy the spring weather.  With the parks closed, the Wabash beckoned.   We thought about getting the bikes out, but with the recent rain, figured it would be too wet.
Leaving Silver City~
Nika was none too enthusiastic...  Butch put the pinch collar on her & she knows that Dad doesn't allow any pulling!   Her expression tickled me.  Something like;  "If they would just walk faster..."

It's a tough time of year for me - still...  I can't help but think of all the rides Farah & I enjoyed when the weather was this perfect.
Of course Not...
But - no - we never did ride this portion.  The last time Butch & I rode our bikes, it was from Mineola to Silver City.  Today - we wanted to see what was beyond Silver City.
Smaller little creek~
There were very few bike riders out.  One group of four or five were at the pavilion in town, definitely not practicing social distancing.   From the trash along the trail, it seems they're also not interested in picking up after themselves...
Of course - bikes don't damage the surface...  Old dried ruts from a wetter day.
We just moved off to the side as they went by.  Several riders did acknowledge us, most didn't  & only one guy thanked us.  (We were wrong about the trail being wet.  It was bone dry!)
Silver Creek~
We could tell the trail was getting close to water.  The birds seem to be more active near the creeks & no wonder.  It was such a pretty area, perfect for a picnic table.
Beaver dam~
We were both surprised to see the Beaver dam!  It looked like they've been busy, just upstream from the bridge we were on.  Again, I was so surprised at the number of bridges!  We didn't count them, but I think we crossed at least seven or eight.
Who could this be?
The wind was blowing, but not bad.  I'd started out with a jacket, but it was soon tied to my waist.  I'd also forgotten my Garmin.  Boy Scout Troop 513 had added new mileage signs from milepost 14 to 15, showing each 1/4 mile.
New signage!
We turned around at four-miles out. It had been a long while since I'd just walked much distance. My legs could feel the difference from just the elliptical! Unable to go to the Y - I'm back to using my stationary bike. 30-min. on it at level 4-5, gets me 8 miles.
Where we turned back~
Nika's attitude brightened as we turned back :-)  She reminded me of a barn sour horse!  She was ready to return to the truck!  After all, it was past her dinner time!
Back in town~
Town was totally deserted.  We still plan on going to The Hood, when the restaurants & bars open again.  We've heard they have a mean burger!
Butch's new project :-)
Butch turned toward Malvern to show me his latest project!  He'd made a comment at work regarding the Fast Stop in town?  Wrong question to ask!  With the help of a couple of the men - guess who did an amazing job of cleaning it all up last Fri.?  He still has more to do, but the change was impressive!

I'd planned on going over for lunch one of these nice days.  After walking the trail, I think I'm going to get my bike out & ride from either Mineola or Silver City to Malvern.  The trail goes right next to Fast Stop & only a block from Agriland & the city park.  If I'm too tried for the or out-of-shape for the ride back - I know who to ask for a lift!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~