March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, June 7, 2021

Return of the Heat ~

 It took more gumption than I like to admit...  To load Breezy onto the Bronco & drive to the trail.  The week is warming up, with today the coolest - at low 90's & 42% humidity. 

Breezy ready to go~

Just as I was leaving Silver City, crossing the bridge & going into the shade of the trees, two birds were having a fit!  Flying around over me & making every sound of distress they knew.  Looking a few feet ahead, here was a very tiny baby bird, just old enough to get into trouble!  He was totally unconcerned his parents were unhappy, pecking at the limestone & having a fine time!   As I peddled by, he'd moved to the edge of the trail.  I think they were Shrikes - very pretty.

Mari Jo was riding toward me, on her return trip from Malvern.  She had on a sun hat I couldn't help but admire.  I have so much hair though - I just can't stand anything on my head besides a sweat band.

Breezy in the shade~
With the upcoming heat & humidity, the corn will be growing by the day!  It's already probably over six inches tall.  I set my pace, slower in the shade, more speed in the sun!  This section of trail is so nice, in that it's mostly shaded.
Just before the Trestle~
This heavy branch couldn't have fallen more perfectly!  Covering the trail from side to side:-)  Too heavy to move, I lifted Breezy over it at the left side.  I'm sure the trail volunteer will have it cut out by tomorrow.
On the Trestle~
I was taking my electrolytes & the wind helped to keep the day a little cooler.  It was just the 20 mph. blasts I didn't care for.

We made decent time getting to Agriland.  Butch had a surprise for me!  He'd bought a bag of ice to keep in the freezer of the new refrigerator!   My coke was served over ice!  Yum!  We sat in front of the big industrial fan long enough for me to cool off.  

I rode around the lake on the new concrete path, taking it to return to the trail.
Agriland from the Park~

Once on the way back, I took a couple extra water breaks.  The wind was mostly at my back, which was better than riding into it!

Iowa - summer beauty
If you overlooked the heat, it was a beautiful day!  The puffy white clouds managed to sail overhead several times when I rode out into what would have been direct sunshine.  Being a cool weather person, I don't plan to let the heat keep me from the trail!  This ride took me over 300-miles year-to-date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~