March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Forward Motion ~

 It was going to be a hot & humid day - but it was the day I had.  Butch would be at Agriland & if I was going to ride, a break half-way would be welcome.  The trail was still more damp than I imagined.  We've had no wind, which usually makes quick work of the drying process.

A mile south of Silver City~
There wasn't even a hint of a breeze & the humidity was enveloping.  At Mari Jo's suggestion I bought my first cycling jersey.  Mari Jo noticed & as I was leaving said;  "It even has pockets in the back."  I told her Equestrians aren't into back pockets!  She responded just as I hit the trail;  "Ice pack!"  Well, now, that sounded like a wonderful idea!  :-)

Breezy on the trail~

You can tell in both the above photos how damp the surface was.  Slippery in places too.  There's been questions on our Facebook Verve page regarding the tires that come with the bike.  Mine are an upgrade & so far I've not had an issue.  Of course I don't do many turns.  Crossing heavily graveled roads, so far, I've been fine.

Silver Creek - far from "silver"~
Water levels in the small creeks & Silver Creek, were up from the rains we've received.  As always with rain, there's more silt in the water.

I wasn't out to break any records.  Yesterday, weed whacking along the creek, I'd slipped & fallen backwards.  It bent my bad knee All the way back, until my heel touched my rear...  The pain was incredible & I had no idea if I'd re-broken - who knows what?  I felt something in the back of my knee give, maybe scar tissue?  I didn't think the knee joint was capable of bending so much since the surgery, but with the force of my backwards fall, it did!

With my extensive medical knowledge - not - I've decided if it did it once, there's should be more bend I can get.  Now, I'm pushing on it until it hurts & worked the entire ride to keep the ball of my foot on the pedal.
Nate takes me for a ride :-)
I surprised myself by making it to Agriland in an hour.  As I stopped, I had a huge cramp in top muscle of my right thigh.  Probably from the change I was making & not enough electrolytes.  Butch had all the fans going & my cold coke tasted so good!  I was about ready to leave when he called me over to where the sprayer had just come in.  Nate was willing to give me a ride!  What fun! 
Corn growing fast!
The clouds were welcome, as relief from the strong sun, but held in the humidity.  The only breeze to be found on this day, was what Breezy made.
Elderberry~
The wild Elderberry was in full bloom, so pretty against the green.  Our edible varieties at home have bloomed now too, I'm hopeful I'll be able to collect some before the birds get them.
Looking down~
In case you think there aren't deep ravines in Iowa, think again!  The bridges were built over some difficult terrain.
Wait for me!  :-)
Breezy, obviously, was in a hurry to get back!  I didn't see one rider the entire 17-miles.  The Wabash Trace has recently received another stellar local review.  I've very thankful to have it.  Butch & I joke about moving out toward Greenfield or Creston.  Both towns need School Bus drivers & there's an Agriland almost everywhere. :-)  He did mention too - I'd go batty without a place to ride & that's true!  

As to the new jersey, usually my cotton t-shirts are soaked half way down.   The new jersey was soaked too, but it did breathe enough, I think I was cooler!


4 comments:

  1. So you bend your knee backwards, are in "incredible pain", and your response is "awesome, I should do that again"?? I hope you are being honest about your constant reports of being in pain, stiff, sore... to your doctor or PT. Taking a bike ride is NOT worth the risk of making yourself a cripple 10 yrs from now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm late in replying. Appreciate what you're saying - but the leg continues to improve. No pain, no gain!

      Delete
  2. I to was put on the last day on the, Racoon River Valley Trail, I started in Minburn and rode to Jefferson. The trail was all concrete up to Herndon at which point it changed to asphalt. From that point it was a rough ride which caused me to have to slow down. Once I got to, Winkelman Switch, I was as greeted with a bridge closed sign, that was the last stretch across river valley into Jefferson. I ended up riding a gravel road for a couple of miles where at one point I had a big old farm dog come chasing me and it actually was nipping my rear tire, I wasn't going to be very happy if it punctured my tire. �� After it decided to no go for the tires it started going after my foot, where it almost got a swift kick, but it finally gave up chasing me. That gravel road ride was not fun but my replacement tires did well on it, and I was happy to have the gravel tread. I then ended up on the highway, which I was very familiar with from growing up in this area, and trying to prepare myself for the ride through the river valley as I knew the climb on the other side was not going to be easy. I actually took a little break before the climb for some water and then proceeded, I made it about half way up before I decided I'd walk the rest of the way. �� After that I was in Jefferson and headed to the town square where my wife was waiting to pick me up. Fun ride but I wouldn't take that trail again until it's resurfaced, and the bridge is to reopen this month from what the locals told me. Anyway, I hope your knee is feeling better and I do love reading your blog of your adventures along with the pics. Enjoy the ride and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nolan, that sounds like quite the ride! I'm told to carry Bear Spray for dog attacks - so scary! Glad you made it through to your pick up point! Think I'll wait a while before trying that trail!

      Delete

Always Welcome~