March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, August 13, 2021

Changing Routines ~

 With Butch no longer with Agriland, our routine of a weekly coke break when I rode from Silver City to Malvern, is kaput.  Today, I decided to try some hill work & ride north from Mari Jo's shop in Silver City.  It was the first day this week where the temperature & humidity wasn't either close to, or into the triple digits.  Mid-80's sounded positively cool!  I'd brought two big full bottles of water, my husband would not be waiting with a nice cold coke at the half-way...  

At the new bridge~
This was my first time riding across the new bridge with the intent of going further north!  It's a long, slow, two-mile uphill grade, out of Silver City.  I could tell I hadn't ridden for over a week!  Nor, was I warmed up for the effort.  I won't lie, the climb was a chore.  I kept on truckin', knowing once I hit the crest, I'd have two more miles of downhill to the Mineola trailhead to enjoy.
End of the downhill going to Mineola~
Enjoy it I did!  I needed it to cool down from the grind.  Though this trail is often described as easy, it's long gradual unrelenting climbs are anything but.
Breezy getting a good look at the statue!
The Frontiersman statue had been moved from it's original home at Margaritaville, to the trailhead here.  I didn't stay long, I knew the next phase of the ride would be four more miles, an uphill grade to Margaritaville.
Breezy checks out Keg Creek~
Leaving Mineola, the trail is deceptively flat for the first mile, but soon my legs could feel the burn of the grade.  This section of trail too, has some areas of full sunshine.  I was glad the day wasn't warmer.  
Cowboy Pass~
I remember how excited I was the first time I saw this sign, riding Farah.  I thought with such a name, that horses must be allowed?  I was wrong.

2-21-2017
Bright spots of yellow caught my eye, as I stopped for a short breather.  The leaves almost looked fern like?  A little research & I found them.
Showy Partridge Pea~
Finally, after what seemed like a very long grind, I was at Margaritaville.  Just short of eight-miles, I decided to continue on to the benches in the shade, at the old Dumfries townsite.  I'd only seen a couple other riders.  There's a big event ride on the trail, over the weekend.
Rest spot & half-way~
As I was getting ready to leave, a man came riding by southbound, with music blaring.  Super rude.  I decided with any luck, he'd stop at Margaritaville.  I got on Breezy, with my favorite part of the trail ahead of us, four-miles of downhill.  I buzzed past the rider, who had indeed stopped for a break.
Wild Grapes~
I was a little disappointed.  On my way up, I'd noticed several places where the trail had some pretty severe washouts.  Going back, there were many more.  I reduced speed accordingly to try to avoid the worst of them.

I reached Mineola again & took on the final two-mile climb.  It wasn't pretty, but I got it done!  On the way, I saw the beautiful wild turkey feather below & had to stop to collect it.
Wild Turkey feather~
Once I reached the top, it was again a very enjoyable downhill back to Silver City!  I wanted to get back before Mari Jo closed shop for the day.  I was happy to accept another big bag of fresh tomatoes from her garden.  We again exchanged a pint of Chile sauce for Zucchini relish!
Butch's new ride~
I arrived home after my husband, who had just returned from his first day, at his new job with Lee Construction, here in Glenwood.  Butch may operate equipment & drive a 2005 Mac dump truck.  He plans to get his Class A CDL, a state requirement to drive a side dump.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~