March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, August 2, 2021

A Ride with Mari Jo ~

 Finally, the weather & Mari Jo's schedule cooperated enough for us to ride!  Mari Jo has been cheering me on, as I've worked to regain the full use of my leg.  She admits "Animal" is one of her nicknames!  :-)  On the trail, she is!  I'm thankful she drops her speed down a few notches for my benefit.  Her years of riding & conditioning are obvious.  Of course when we talk as much as we pedal, speed isn't the goal.

Runaway petunia's, by the early 1900's door step up to the shop.

It's unusual to see the closed sign on the door of Happy Trails!  Mari Jo has the shop open six-days a week during the summer season.  The shop was originally the office of the local newspaper.  Another day of less heat & humidity, we saw several riders out on the trail.

Mari Jo with her Trek Marlin~
Today, I couldn't help but notice Mari Jo's color coordination with her bike!  It reminded me of many endurance riders!  I mentioned it & told her as long as she doesn't start wearing wild colored tights I'm fine with it!  :-)  The color of the bike is matt Mulberry, fitting for an Iowa mountain bike!
Silver Creek from the Trestle~

Last Friday's rain raised the water level of Silver Creek.  It also contributed more silt.  The air looked humid, but it was the gray/white layer of smoke, lightening our usual deep blue summer skies.  We were at the far end of the bridge when we saw a bike coming at us - fast.  As it drew closer, we could see large fat tires & a larger rider on an electric bike.  He didn't even slow down his approach.  He hit the bridge so fast & hard, the decking shook.  Wouldn't it be awful if trails become electric bike commuter highways?

Malvern Station, our half-way break spot~
We stopped in the shade of the big tree for a short break, before starting back.  I'm now over 400-miles for the year & within just a couple miles of where I was this time last season.  That surprised me, considering how slowly I started out.  I haven't done the more difficult sections of trail, except my ride to Imogene.  I'm not quite ready for heat & humidity combined with difficulty - yet.

Back in Silver City, Mari Jo rode off toward home while I loaded Breezy.  She soon returned with a bag full of fresh from the garden tomatoes!  It's the time of year when the farmers bring their produce into town in the back of pickups & set up on the street corners!  I picked up zucchini & sweet corn on my way home!  
Yum!
It was so nice to be back on the trail.  Our weather is due to change back into another cycle of heat & humidity by the end of this week.  I have to remember - it's just the beginning of August!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~