March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, December 13, 2021

Smokey's First Ride!

  It was a beautiful mid-December day.  Temperatures were in the mid 50's with no wind at all.  Butch drove me to the trail head in Council Bluffs.  Before leaving, I wanted to adjust the stock seat of the Adventure down a little in front.  The seat post did not have a tilt adjustment.  Butch took the post off the Verve & installed it on Smokey.  We adjusted the seat & I tried it out in the parking lot, before hitting the trail.  (Update - we figured out the tilt adjustment & reinstalled the original seat post.) 

Smokey first photos on the trail~

I was so excited to be riding again!  My last ride had been November 24th, just before leaving for WA.  Thanks to my husband's help, today would be a one-way ride.  My plan was to ride from Council Bluffs, south to Mineola.  Ten miles with the last four, all downhill.  I saw Butch drive by on the road & at a mile out, he met me at the road crossing!  I was glad he did, I needed a minor adjustment to the handlebars & moved my seat up again.  From there on, I was on my own.

Smokey on snow~
Riding this bike, was absolutely effortless!  Even being out-of-shape yet again...  It seems to take less time to lose fitness, the older I get!  When we came to the first bridge, the usual bump, was so smooth, I didn't realize I was over it!  Shocks are amazing!  I looked down at my Garmin - on the flats I was traveling 9.8 mph!  So much faster than I've gone for almost the year I've ridden the Verve 3.  Admittedly, my leg has been in recovery mode for many months.

By the new overlook~
Going south, there's less grade than north, but still a couple nice long stretches.  I used the lower gears & never once had to stop to rest.  Riding the Verve, I had to stop multiple times to rest, it took so much more effort for me to ride.
Lewis & Clark Trail signage~
At this point, we'd covered almost six miles & Margaritaville was just ahead.  The bike was handling perfectly & I was making the best time I have since before my injury.

On the downhill!
I stopped for a short break to enjoy the sunshine at Margaritaville.  There are so many trash cans there now, I didn't get a photo of the party cover or sign.  I texted Butch to tell him it wouldn't be long before I'd arrive!  On the downhill, I moved up to 8th & found myself traveling over 15-mph.  Again, the fastest I've ridden in forever.
Last bridge before Mineola~
As I got closer, I could see Butch talking to a woman with a bike.  Mari Jo!  She'd asked when I'd be leaving Council Bluffs & I let her know once I was on the trail.  She'd ridden north from Silver City, to meet-up with me & see Smokey!  She was almost as excited as I've been to check the bike out.  Smokey passed with flying colors!  Mari Jo agreed with Butch, saying the look on my face, was proof enough of how much I'd enjoyed my new ride.

While we were talking, Butch got on my bike & rode away!  Mari Jo said, "You'll be making another trip to Seattle!"  Butch loved the way the bike rode too & now, eventually wants one, if we can find it!  Thankfully, he has the great gearing on the Verve 2, but he was impressed with the increased comfort level of the Adventure.

Easy to load & secure~
When we got home, I checked my prior stats on Garmin Connect.  I'd almost exactly matched my time over this section of trail from April 21, 2020, riding Speedy.  That's the best I've done since my injury!  Better yet, my leg didn't hurt like it usually did riding the Verve.  Yes, I knew I'd put it to work, but it was more of a normal ache than the overuse hurt I've been used to.  Now, I'm looking forward again to rideable days & a fresh new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~