March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, December 31, 2021

2021 - In Review~

 Five years & how fast they've gone.  December of 2020, we had three snowstorms.  Nika was in her element!  Even so, there were some beautiful days with plenty of sunshine. 

12-31-2020 Nika~
January continued the trend with a blizzard mid-month.  Snow was added to piles of snow. Between storms, I took Speedy out & with Butch watching, tried peddling.  I could make a full rotation.  All the weeks of physical therapy & work at the Y paid off.  Nika & I enjoyed our winter woods walks too.
1-11-2021 Taking Speedy out for a trial run~
This February, I had no ambition to visit WA.  Having spent most of last fall there recovering, I was happy to be home.  I asked about adding color to the walls in the house & Butch took on the project.
2-4-21 The office wall~
To celebrate our birthday's - we made a road trip to Glenwood Springs, CO.  Our home in the early 80's.  Soaking in the pool & watching the snow fall, had always been one of our favorite things.  We hiked at Rifle Falls & enjoyed a long weekend.
2-6-21 Glenwood Hot Springs Pool~
Back home, we hadn't missed another heavy blast of snow!  
2-21-21 The Cabin~
Enough already!  Shoveling had been an everyday routine for way too long!  Late February & into March, the weather moderated & the snow started melting.  Mari Jo & I took walks with our dogs out on the Wabash Trace.  I rode my bike for the first time with Butch, around Lake Manawa!
3-6-21 Connie & Speedy~
It wasn't easy, but it was sure wonderful to be out on two wheels!  By the end of the month, the grass was green again & my little daffodils were blooming!
3-30-21 Color!
By April, all the wildflowers were in bloom & spring had arrived in a big way!  In the marsh, I found new wildflowers - Dutchman's Breechs.  I was riding up to 17-miles on the Wabash Trace & visiting Butch at Agriland!
4-15-21 Speedy at Agriland
May, I was ready again for a different bike.  I really enjoyed riding the Townie, but thought I needed more gears for the long grades of the trail.  Most of my shopping was done on-line.  The Trek bike in the size I needed, was in Kansas City, KS.  I made the drive to pick up a Verve 3 Lowstep,
5-3-2021 Trek Verve Bikes~
Butch ended up buying a new Trek too & soon was outdistancing me on the trails.  Memorial Day weekend, we stayed over in Creston, rode our bikes & attended the Memorial Day services at the Greenfield Cemetery.
5-21-21 Creston Quilt Show
Once June arrived, I spent the days I wasn't riding, working outside. Butch worked to finish the ceiling in the cabin.  He put up the steel panels, while I sanded & painted the trusses.
7-26-21 Cabin finished~
July, daughter Courtney & grandson Mason came for a visit!  We would have kept them for the summer! :-)  We did all the fun things we could think of & a few more.  Mason loved his tour with Papa & checking out the big tractor.  The weather couldn't have been better.  Not hot, not humid, as perfect as a July could be.  Things were too quiet when the two of them left for home.
7-8-21 Mason in the John Deere~
August, with Butch laid off from Agriland, he had time to install the new windows for the house.  The difference they've made is incredible.  The installation led to removing the vinyl siding, adding vapor barrier & painting the shutters.
8-19-21 New windows, painted shutters~
The marigolds I'd planted in the usual spot along the south fence, provided us with color all summer. Butch put in a block wall along the west end of the house.  He also cut shutters for the Cabin windows.  We planted a new row of Emerald Greens along the north split rail fence. (Our second attempt at getting something to grow there.)
8-20-21 Marigolds~
September, Butch was driving a dump truck part time for a local company.  He was also back to driving the school bus.  We took an extended weekend trip to Mason City.  A town resplendent with Frank Lloyd Wright architecture.  Butch finished training & received his Class A driver's license.  (He also passed the test for hazmat certification.)  The bikes went with us, we rode the High Trestle Trail north of Des Moines on our way home.
9-18-21 High Trestle Trail Bridge~
October was mild & beautiful!  We had the big Walnut tree out front trimmed to clean up the damage from the August Derecho.  It produced a bumper crop of walnuts!  I hired the neighbor kids to help with the continual pickup.  It kept me busy for at least an hour a day for weeks!  I used the chips from the walnut to cover my trails.
10-11-2021 Walnut
November second, we had our first hard frost.  The leaves fell from the trees like rain.  It was totally beautiful out on the trail.  After a season of over 600 miles on the Verve, I came to the conclusion it was more work to ride, than fun.  Butch took me bike shopping again.  The Bike Rack put together a Cannondale Adventure in my size & I loved it.   It was not only fun to ride, but much easier to get on & off!  
11-2-2021 On the Wabash~
 After an extensive search & many phone calls, Butch found one in the size & model I needed.  The only problem was that the bike was in Seattle!  I called Alaska & changed my February flight reservations.  Right after Thanksgiving, I left for the Pacific NW.

I don't need an excuse to visit the Grandkids - staying with the Peters is always fun family time!  Courtney took me to pick up the new bike in Ballard.  We added a shopping detour to University Village.  The following day, we drove over the pass to Ellensburg.  Cassidy was returning to CWU after Thanksgiving break.  I really enjoyed seeing how she'd personalized her dorm room! 
11-28-2021 Cassidy & Grammy~
I tagged along with Courtney & Mason for Mason's doctor visit at the hospital.  Followed by ice cream!  It rained almost every day of my two weeks stay.  Courtney & I worked on craft projects & shopped at some of our favorite stores.  Lynn & I fit in lunch at the Maltby Cafe.  Afterward, we took a tour of the new housing construction around Monroe.  We went to see the horses, then ended the day at Lynn & Jack's new home in Sultan. 
9-5-2018 Butch with Farah, Iowa ~
After almost a year of positive texts from Farah's owner, she told me Farah was acting up on the way back to the barn & had scared her.  She was going to list Farah for sale.  I started checking with friends to find her a new home.  

Within just days, a sale happened. I wasn't told who to - until after Farah had been picked up.  It didn't take long before I found out it was a woman; I'd had a falling out with years ago.  She was well aware I would have stopped the sale, had I known.  I can only hope those who understand my ongoing commitment to Farah's welfare, will keep me posted as to her future well-being.
12-9-2021 Loess Hills~
Iowa from the air, is always such a welcome sight.  As difficult as it is to be so far away from our family, a couple weeks in the hustle & bustle of the Pacific Northwest is enough for me.  Seeing the Loess Hills come into view feels so right.

The second half of December was mild enough I was able to get Smokey out for a first ride!  I'm hoping for at least a few rideable days this winter. 
12-11-2021 Smokey ~
The beginning our sixth year & another New Year!  We appreciate more than ever, our home & life here in the Midwest.  If we could just convince the kids to move here too! :-)

Happy New Year - 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~