March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, July 28, 2022

Lake Manawa ~

 I'm enjoying two-cooler, more seasonal days the end of July!  Starting Monday, we're supposed to get hot, hotter & hotter still throughout the upcoming week.  At least four days with temperatures reaching or exceding the triple digits.

 Wabash northern trailhead~
I decided to drive up to Lake Manawa.  I hadn't ridden there since May 22nd on a wonderful 60+ degree spring day.  Today, we were in the low 80's with low humidity.  There was just a light breeze at home, but once I got out on the trail acorss the valley, the wind was really blasting.  I'm starting to think this area gets more wind than we do.
"Views"  Mosquito Creek, I-29 & Mid-American Coal Plant in the background~
Even without much traffic on I-29, there was still noise.  The first part of the ride, going along side some major streets is noisy.  I forget how much so when I haven't been there in a while.
Tip-toe through the posion ivy!
I stopped in the shade of a huge Cottonwood, at the edge of the old campground to talk to Butch.  I looked down to see pretty new green shoots everywhere!  :-)    
The old campground~
Such a beautiful place, someday it will probably be covered with high rise condo's - most of which would have amazing views of the lake.  There were two barrels holding up a new "No Tresspassing" sign as I came out to the north.  I ride in from the west, around a gate.  The landowner must have had issues, to warrent the new sign.
Entering the Park~
After the long straight stretch along Indian Creek, I cross the bridge & turn into the park!  My favorite section.  
New Campground~
The new campground was probably 2/3rds full!  No wonder with summer in full swing & a park so close to the Omaha metro area.  It would be interesting to go through & see how many NE plates there are.  Maybe less than I think.
Omaha in the distance~
I took my break at the far picinc area.  It was just so plesant to sit out in the sun, listen to the water & watch the clouds crossing over the lake.  I could have spent the afternoon.  
Cottonwood & grasses~
The sunlight was so beautiful today & the air very clear.  Maybe the lower humidity helped.  On days with high humidity I think I can see a haze in the air.  
Wildflowers~
I haven't identified the flowers above yet, but I saw my first Monarch of the year!  Finishing my circut of the lake, I rode right into a strong north wind on the way back to the parking lot.

Once home, I was walking over to the cabin when a Swallowtail flew right in front of me, to land in the Echinacea!  Both in the same day!  The birds, bees & butterflies love it when I turn the sprinkler on.  I'm trying to do the minimum, but the ground is so dry it's cracking.  

With August coming in HOT, I can only hope it will go out on a cooler note!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~