March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Seeking Shade ~

 We're now full on into the hot summer months.  I'm a weather watcher - especially this time of year when we'll be lucky to get maybe one or two days cool enough I want to ride.  The heat & humidity bring out the biting flies, sometimes attacking even through my spray of Deep Woods Off.

A Sea of Soy~
Mari Jo had ridden on Monday in the heat.  I didn't want to be a total whimp & today was to be the most decent before a  run of hot days going up into the triple digits.  With a temperature bordering 90, at least the humidity was tolerable.
Under the Walnuts~
The sun was so strong & it wasn't a mile, as the sweat started dripping down into my eyes, I realized I'd forgotten my visor.  The poor thing is so worn out after so many years, I'd taken it in the office to try to find a replacement on-line.  It's a Sunbelt & the most comfortable ever.   The problem is - no one has any...  I finally found one that looked very close, so I ordered it & we'll see when it comes. 
Cooking hot on the Trestle~
I could feel the sun burning right through the sunscreen on my arms.  I thought about wetting down my bandana & wearing it, but it was just too heavy.  The coolness wouldn't last long anyway.  Peddling past the park I stopped at the arch in Malvern, again happy to find shade!
Smokey under the arch~
I haven't ridden any further south for a long time.  With Butch gone, I can't do the point-to-point rides where he would pick me up at the far end.  It seems strange we're coming up on a year since he was laid-off at Agriland.  Little did we expect he'd be driving a semi OTR!  
Smokey & the Malvern Bike!
I decided to ride a little further & check out the trail going on south from Malvern to Imogene.  The first time I rode this section was in April of 2020.  I'd like to do it again, but it's a tough 14-mile section & the round-trip is one I'll save for a cooler day!  On the way, was the big bike art installation.  The original town sign is a recent addition.  I think Smokey looks so sporting!  
Cool Blues~
Again, in July the stinging nettles are so showy & I love seeing the last of the color for the season.  Once I'd reached the first bridge, I turned back & went to the park for my rest break.  There's usually a breeze.  The leaves of the cottonwoods were rustling as I rode under them.
My round-trip - 17.69 miles~
With all the trees that have gone down over the past few years, there's now more direct sun than ever on this stretch of trail.  It's the shade that draws riders in the summer months.  Returning to Happy Trails - I was more than happy to go inside & cool off!

Butch called when I returned home, he was just leaving St. Joseph, MO.  I told him he should come up & spend the night at home!  He agreed, since he'll be crossing over to the west again with plenty of time to make his destination.  He was passing the athletic field when a practice was letting out.  The kids made motions for him to blow his horn, he had to oblige!  An unexpected but incredibly wonderful evening home!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~