March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Mineola to Margaritaville, RT

 We woke this morning to 24 degrees & sunshine.  The first hard frost of the season.  The flowers I left out, were frozen.  They'd lasted longer, still blooming, than any previous year.  The Asparagus ferns though, didn't seen to mind the cold, so we'll see how long they last.  

Butch had another appointment in Council Bluffs.  When we returned, the afternoon was so beautiful, I decided to load Breezy.  I drove to the Mineola trailhead, intending to ride to Margaritaville.  I hadn't ridden this section of trail since May 20, of 2020.  On that day, I'd ridden twenty-miles.  Since my injury, the idea just of those four-miles of uphill grade was daunting.  I'd forgotten too, this section of trail is closer to home than Silver City.   

Heading west for a short way~
  The wind hit as I was leaving, but once the trail turned north, the wind eased.  I stopped way more than I want to admit, to take short breaks.  With the frost, the leaves were falling from the trees, even without any wind.

Breezy & the leaves~
It was so pretty, to see such a variety of leaves carpeting the trail.  I loved the sound of them under Breezy's tires.  The smell too - was as perfect as fall smells can be.
A cornucopia of leaf varieties~
There was only one other rider I saw, so quiet, peaceful & beautiful.  Such perfect days, shortening all too quickly.
Underpass - Dumfries~
I rode past Margaritaville & on to the underpass, to get in just over four-miles, before turning back the way we'd come.
Heading back~
The new signage is so nice.  There are identical signs even here in town, to lead bicyclists to the Lewis & Clark trail.  In places, they are to ride on narrow roads with no shoulders & big hills.  With the grain trucks roaring along those roads, I wouldn't have the nerve to ride.  I did see one guy on my way though.
Margaritaville~
Now sporting two little bench areas & many more picnic tables & bike racks.  I'm sure this place was crazy full of riders several times over the season.  I was happy to have it to myself.
Varying colors down the trail~
Each species of tree, dropping there own color of leaves, it was easy to tell when we were coming to the walnuts.  I was careful though, since the walnuts were buried in the leaves.  With all the leaves just falling this morning, the wind hasn't had a chance to blow them off the trail.
Breezy~
With the clouds passing overhead, the afternoon alternated between warm sunshine & cooler shade.  I wore a thermal long-sleeved shirt for the first time & my vest.  I wished more than once I'd brought a jacket too.
Maples~
Golden sections of trail, were the maples, my favorite.  
Mineola in the distance~
I enjoyed the eight-miles & needed the workout.  I always have to stop to admire this view returning to town.  Quintessential Iowa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~