March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Fooled by Sunshine ~

 The day started out just beautiful!  Sunshine, a very light breeze & feeling of warmth in the air.  The temperature climbed into the low 40's by noon.  Looking at the weather forecast - today was the last before rain/snow & temperatures dropping back into the 20's for the last half of the month.  I was determined to get in another ride.  Lake Manawa has become my go-to place in the winter months.  Close enough to home & nice hard surface trails.

1:43 p.m. Toward the Park~
Of course, as luck would have it, by the time I had lunch & loaded Smokey, the clouds had moved in & the wind had picked up.  A totally different look to the day from earlier.  Just into the park, two people riding electric bikes came past from the other direction.  When they saw me, they started peddling.
Far edge of the old campground~
When I stopped to call Butch - my fingers got cold - even through my gloves holding the phone.  I did have the wind to face on the long western side along Indian Creek.
Along Indian Creek~
It was an eerily beautiful afternoon.  The feeling of a change coming was all too obvious.  I still won't complain - since we need moisture so very badly.  The west coast is getting slammed with storms.  The east coast too - yet here in the middle of the country - we're still bone dry. When we do get a little rain, it's only been less than half an inch.
Zoomed in - across the lake~
I put my phone's zoom mode in as far as it would go, to get the above photo.  I also supported it on the bench & am pretty happy with how clear the picture turned out.  It looks almost like the skyline of tall buildings is right on the far side of the lake - instead of miles away.

Of the five groups of people walking dogs, four dogs were off leash...  I usually just stop & dismount to walk past rather than take a chance of getting knocked off my bike by a rambunctious dog.  Still - why is it so difficult for people to follow the rules?
Clouds heavier~
I made a final stop at my favorite place & enjoyed a brief sunbreak before the clouds thickened.  I could feel the temperature drop & decided it was time to move on.  Going back, the wind was at my back, which really helped.  At the Explorer, I hurried to get Smokey loaded & turn on the heat.  It ended up being a really nice ride - especially for just the middle of January!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~