March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, January 1, 2023

New Year's Day Ride!

 For the first time in over 40-years, we weren't together on New Year's Eve.  Butch was stopped for the day in the mountains of Wyoming - driving this direction.  He had a clear, cold, star filled night as did I.  It was an uneventful end to the year & there's nothing wrong with uneventful!  

After Butch's all too short hometime over Christmas, I took down all the holiday decorations.  I wanted to start the new year - with a fresh slate.  Last Friday, Nika & I did get out on the trail with Mari Jo & Gracie. The snow had melted off the concrete surface & the air smelled fresh & clean.  I mentioned I planned to get in a ride at Lake Manawa as soon as the weather permitted.  Mari Jo thought it a good idea too.

At the Council Bluffs trail head~

We debated between yesterday & today.  Yesterday was sunshine but wind.  Today we had clouds & no wind!  We pulled in at the same time & couldn't wait to get out on the trail.  Mari Jo mentioned it had been a while since she'd ridden this way.  I was looking forward to showing her my loop. 

Along the golf course~
The temperature was just over 40 & we'd had broken cloud cover since early morning.  It was a quintessential winter day!  We couldn't believe our luck.  My tour included all my favorite spots & views of the lake.
Lake Manawa - view south from the north end.
Mari Jo appreciated the route for all the same reason's I do.  We enjoyed the smooth surface trails - after a season of riding on limestone.  
Indian Creek Bridge~
The afternoon skies were beautiful.  It was a quiet day without the usual wind.  We only passed two other riders on the trail.  The final stop on my route is usually the far picnic shelter.  It has such a great view across the water of Omaha.
South side of the lake, looking north~
The lake is the lowest I've ever seen it.  Just a rough guess - 18+ inches lower than what would be normal for the time of year.  We're promised moisture in the coming days - hopefully a good soaking rain.  Moisture of any kind at all - even white - would be welcome.
View east~
There were only a handful of people walking & one family on bikes.  Three deer were enjoying the fresh grass in the new campground as we went by.  A Hawk gave us a fly-by too.  We completed our ride of 14-miles in under 2-hours, including stops.
Our route~
Arriving home, I called Butch to see where he was - hoping he'd make it home for the night.  I-80 east bound in Wyoming, had closed in front of him earlier today, but after a delay of about 40-min. was reopened.  West bound was closed shortly after.  Butch said when he left Laramie, it was full to the brim of semi's waiting to continue on west.
Butch & Traveler~
By 8:21, he was home - a 620-mile drive - with 1:09 left on his clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~