March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Wintry~

 I can't think of a more pleasant word to describe January - at least so far.   I do know I can probably count the days with sunshine - on the fingers of one hand!  Temperatures have been in the chilly range...  The last week of the month, the chilly will be replaced with downright bitter cold!  The forecast shows six days in a row, of highs only in the teens.

1-7 - Timber Trail, 3:30 p.m. 
I get out every day, usually with Nika.  On those rare days when the sun is shining, I take advantage & we stay out until my fingers go numb.  When the wind blows, I have trash to pick up, the downside of living downwind from neighbors who don't cover their garbage.  The Racoon family tears into it & one of them was hit by a car & killed last week.  I've had to put on my tall boots & wade across the creek a few times now to pick up what gets blown across. 
1-17 - 4 p.m.
Last Tuesday was our warmest, brightest day.  I decided it was time to move our fire pit down to the creek & try burning one of the two piles of branches stacked there.  It only took a couple minutes to have a nice little fire going.  I put Nika on her cable & she had a great time.
Nika enjoying fresh scents~
I spent the rest of the afternoon feeding the fire & managed to burn all of the smaller pile.  I put the wire lid over the firepit.  As I moved my chair away from the fire - I felt the cold instantly.  I was amazed at just how much heat my little fire had put out.  
1-18 - Backyard 2 p.m.
The following day - the sun was gone again.  Replaced by a sleet/snow that covered some of the ground but didn't show on the grass.
1-18  Ice on the trees~  3:00 p.m.
I watched as the trees down by the fence were covered with a light layer of ice.  Yesterday, the snow we'd received on the third, had finally completely melted away.  Last evening when I went out with Nika, we were both surprised to see light flakes falling.  Just enough to cover everything with another layer of white.  Not enough to shovel, I just used the broom this morning to sweep it off the walks.
1-22 - The Cabin 12:30 p.m.
The Echinacea has held up well without any heavy snowfall.  The birds still pick at the seed heads each morning.  They're so pretty with the caps of white snow.
1-22 From the top of Timber Trail, our Woods~
The woods too, are beautiful all in white.  This snow stuck to the branches & I love the look.  We're not getting nearly the snow we usually do with these storms...  We're so desperate for the moisture...

Butch has managed to stop by home for two different nights since Christmas.  He's planning to be here for a couple days of home time this coming week!  It was snowing this morning in UT when he called.  I'm already looking forward to a warmer day or two - before the deep cold sets in!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~