March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Winter Riding at the Lake~

 On Sunday when Mari Jo & I walked the dogs, the surface of the trail was hard enough to ride.  Yesterday, it was so nice, instead of going up to Lake Manawa as was originally the plan - we tried riding the Wabash from Silver City.  That was a mistake!  With the temperature going up to 50, there was just enough warmth to soften the trail & we ended up getting our bikes covered with mud.

1:50 p.m. leaving the north Wabash Trailhead
With only one more day of warmer temps, this week, I drove up to the trailhead for a much-needed ride around the lake.  It wasn't as warm as yesterday & the clouds tried to move in, but the wind was light.
Going under I-29
 I stopped before I went under I-29, watching the traffic going by & checking out the red semis.   I knew Butch wouldn't be on that road, but I watched anyway.  I usually take the same route, because it gives me the prettiest trails on the last half of the ride.
The old campground~
Vehicles had driven around the gate to the old campground & the small, discarded liquor bottles told the tale.  (They also littered the ground at the trailhead.)  The For Sale sign was off to the side in the weeds, so I still don't know what the next phase will be for the property.  I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.
Far side of the Indian Creek Bridge
The long stretch along the creek, doesn't seem as long when you're not riding into the wind!  I reached the south side of the lake in no time at all.
Toward Omaha on the horizon~
I stopped at my favorite spot & sat a while, enjoying the day & the feeling of remoteness.  We have yet another year with thin ice on the lake.  No ice fishermen were out on this day!
Looking back at Smokey by picnic area~
It was getting chilly; I tried a couple times to take my jacket off & ride in just my thermal top & vest.  That didn't last long before I was stopping to put my coat back on!  The sun was getting lower in the sky by the minute.
3:50 p.m. Smokey loaded & heading home~
I'd been out for two-hours & enjoyed the smooth surface for 14-miles.  Driving home, I looked over at the house as I was coming down the last hill by the school.  Traveler was sitting in the cabin's driveway! 
Traveler, all cleaned up!
Butch had left Dresback, MN this morning & was running on re-caps.  He hadn't mentioned he only had six-hours on his clock.  I didn't expect him home & he wouldn't have been if he'd had more drive time.  He used 30-min. of personal conveyance to make it home. We took Traveler up to Council Bluffs for dinner - then went through the truck wash.  A truck drivers' version of date night!  I'll take it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~