March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Open Water ~

 The first day of a new month - March!  Here in Iowa, it arrived like a lamb!  In just a few weeks we should be enjoying the first pale greens of spring!  We have appreciated a string of mostly nice days, with nights still going down into the 20's.  This day last year was perfect too, I was even riding the trail!

Smokey in the old campground~
Even though the wind was blowing, it didn't seem too bad at home.  I decided not to waste such a nice sunshine day & drove up to Lake Manawa.  Riding in from the Wabash Trailhead, it was obvious the wind was at my back!  Nice!  At least until I made the turn & rode north!  
Along Indian Creek~
The wind was just brutal, no other way to describe it.  I actually thought about turning back, but I'm stubborn.  Either way, I'd have more wind to deal with.  I realized too, at least riding the long stretch along the creek, the wind would be at my back!  It was & Smokey cruised along pretty much effortlessly at over 12 mph.  
A wide-open blue sky~
I do enjoy being out on my own - I always return home with a good feeling - both tired & refreshed.  I miss the quiet of the Wabash though.  Last year, I'd managed two rides on the trail in March.  Butch had returned home the 3rd with his first semi.  I'd accompanied him on my one & only - never to be forgotten OTR trip!
Open Water!  View north~
After my last visit here on the 26th, when the lake was an eerie shade of frosted green, it was great to see the bright blue of open water!  Amazing in just three days - the change!  Sitting on my favorite bench though - wasn't as pleasant as usual...  The wind had not lessened & was blasting straight at me.  I was getting more chilled the longer I sat. I cowgirled up & left - knowing I'd have a tough ride getting back along the dike.  It was tough!  Going up the last hill I got off Smokey & walked!  

After freezing at the car wash, I came home to find the rear tire completely flat!  I knew then, I'd been riding with that tire going down most of the way.  It was undoubtedly the reason I found the ride & especially those last few miles so difficult.  Funny, when you're tired your brain stops working!  Of course, I doubt my hand pump would have made much difference.  I'm lucky it held air as long as it did - to be able to ride back at all!  Thanks Smokey!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~