March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Mineola to Dumfries~

 I've been working to increase my distance again this season, on the limestone.  Today I decided to do the more difficult section north from Mineola & see how I would do on the uphill grade.  

At the trailhead~
The day was moderate, in the 50's without too much wind.  I hadn't ridden this portion of the trail since March 16th of last year.
Keg Creek
The creek still has a decent amount of flow, but remains much lower than normal.  I wasn't in any hurry & had hoped to keep on peddling the entire four-miles.  That goal wasn't met!  I ended up stopping three times! 
Badly rutted trail~
I can't get over the damage this year, to the trail surface.  It looked like cars have been driven on it!  I doubt a car, but certainly a large, heavier 4-wheel of somekind.  Some new gravel had been put down in spots - filling in some of the ruts.  If I tried riding there I'd find the gravel as my tires sunk in.
Trail Damage
It's just sickening the lack of regard people have for trail rules.  There were even footprints sunk deep for quite a distance.  Once the surface dries out - they stay - until we get at least one or two good rains.  (Rain has been non-existent for the last several months...)  The footprints meandered from one side of the trail to the other - so there was no avoiding them...  It was tiring to constantly watch where I was riding, to miss those I could.  (So much for horses damaging the trail!)
Underpass at Dumfries~
I passed Margeritaville on my way north & went on to the Dumfries underpass.  That gives me a full four-miles each way.  By the time I arrived, the worst of the grade was behind me & I felt like I could have gone on to Council Bluffs.  I really didn't have the time though - that will wait for another day.  I turned back, happy the difficult part was over.
Return to Margeritaville~
There were quite a few people out enjoying the trail & one family having lunch.  Only one rider with his music blaring as he passed me going the other direction.  Ear buds anyone?
View from Margeritaville ~
Several new picnic tables have been added.  I sat on one of those - off to the side with a nice view - for my snack.
New structure ~
Just past the main area, was this cute structure.  Recently unloaded from a trailer I'm sure.  There's probably some work yet to do, to level it up.  This area seems to benefit from lots of improvements every season. 
Almost back to Mineola~
The return south - was as usual - much faster than going north!  I didn't go as fast as I have in the past, the trail was just too rutted & rough.  It did feel good to have accomplished the ride though.  I'll come back again to see if I can improve my time back to what it was last year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~