March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Green Valley State Park~

It was a gorgeous Sunday in Creston.  The horses I could see from the window in my room were snoozing in the shade.  I took Smokey downstairs in the elevator & loaded the bike.  I drove to Green Valley State Park, just a few miles outside of town.

On our way~
Spending a couple nights in town, gave me time to do some shopping yesterday in Greenfield & decorate my parents & paternal Grandparents graves at the Greenfieild Cemetary.  Today, I'd get in a ride, then go to Nevin & visit the family plot of my maternal Grandparents & Great-Grandparents.  Monday, I planned to attend the services in Greenfield, before making the drive back home.
Gorgeous Trail~
The day was warming quickly, so the spots of shade were welcome!  My right knee is still far from healed - after my fall a week ago.  Riding on the smooth concrete seemed so easy after our usual limestone on the Wabash.
Smokey~
The lake is beautiful whatever the time of day.  I did see many small, dead fish at this end.  I don't know if it was the intentional kill of an invasive species, or something else.  I never did see a Ranger to ask.  I rode all the way around to where the trail stops, at the campground.  

From here, you can access the road & ride back to where I started, but I'm not fond of road riding.  There are two sections where you have to be on the road anyway.  They're well posted with "Share the Road" signage, but on one section, a car stayed behind me, until I turned off on the next section of trail.  There was no traffic, so I've no idea why the driver thought staying behind me was the thing to do.  I kept an eye on my rear view mirror.
Shore by the campground~
The campground was full!  No surprise with the three day holiday.  Lots of people out enjoying such a beautiful weekend.  Only one family riding bikes though.  Otherwise I had the trail to myself.  I turned back at the campground.
Smokey on the spillway~
Going across the spillway - there always seems to be a little breeze, which I took full advantage of!  I'm far from acclimitized to the upcoming heat & humidity of the summer months.  Of course as dry as it's been, the humidty has been low!
Cattails~
The cattails are thriving in several places along the shoreline of the lake.  The water looked so clear & clean in these areas.  The swimming area by the campground was open, though only a few people were in the water.
View from the shore of the wind turbine's~
As I made my way back along the east side - the views have changed over the years, to include the wind turbines that now dot the landscape in this area.  I don't like them, don't like the look & think they're a blight on our otherwise rolling, lush green fields.   
A section of shade~
Back to the trees! I'm so used to the shade of the Wabash, being out in the bright sun was a change!  The temperature was climbing & the breeze had died down.  After seven miles, I was ready to be done. 
The Explorer waits~
There are only a couple short hills & the last brought me back to the Explorer.  I returned to the motel & had my usual lunch - an apple with cheese - before driving over to Nevin.
The little cemetary~
I feel at home in this part of the country.  Grandma used to bring me every summer to pull weeds & clean up around Grandpa's grave.  It was here - she told me I would be "the one" to return to Iowa.  Since our move, I come here at least once a year.  There's a guest book at the gate & the few of us who visit always stop to sign.  An almost forgotten, quiet spot on Iowa's landscape.  

I did miss having Butch & Nika with me ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~