March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Sunshine, Clouds, Flowers!

 A sunshine, warm & humid day.  With rain expected in the forecast I went out early to finish mowing the marsh.  Mr. Snappling Turtle is back.  I leave a wide area around his water filled hole!  I sprinkled Preen in the two flower beds there & picked my first batch of Rubarb!  Clouds had rolled in by the time I was done cleaning & chopping it.  Four cups total, enough for two batches of Rubarb Crisp!

After lunch - Smokey was loaded & I made the drive to Silver City, the long way.  My usual route is being re-paved & closed to all but local traffic.  At Happy Trails I stopped to see Mari Jo, before getting on the trail.

Anise Root ~
The Anise Root is one of my favorite spring plants.  It has such a nice growth habit & beautiful leaves.  Some are in our woods.  What started out as a small patch grew a little this year.  It's wonderful to see the trail turning green yet again.
Smokey on the trail~
Last Sunday evening, we received just over a half-inch of rain.  It was enough to raise the humidity.  It's been so dry, it was easy to forget about sweating!   I didn't pass anyone on the trail & reached the bridge just as cloud cover moved in.
On the trestle~
The overcast was a relief from the usual bright sunshine.  The temperature dropped & a light breeze was appreciated.  The birds are singing almost non-stop this time of year!  I love listening to them singing to each other.  Some of the fly-by's included an Oriole, Cardinals & Goldfinches.
Level B road crossing~
Mari Jo had warned me about the road crossing.  She said it had been impassable yesterday & I could see why.  Today though - the mud had dried enough I got off Smokey & light footed it across.  I always look forward to the concrete on the far side.
The park~
It was beautiful at the park!  Obviously Malvern had received much more rain than we had.  The pond was almost full!  A sight I hadn't expected to see.  I rode all the way around to admire the change, before stopping at the picnic area for my break.
Phlox through the spokes~
When I removed a stick from my front spokes, I couldn't help by admire the view!  :-)  The Phlox was such a bright spot!  A sweet smell permeated the air in several places.  The wild plum trees were in full bloom!  Their strong smell is absoutely heavenly.
Wild plum in bloom~
I'm sure the bees think so too!  I made good time going back north.  About a mile from town 3 or 4 raindrops fell on me.  I hoped for more - but by the time I was back at Happy Trails - it stopped.  I & sat talking with Mari Jo until I'd cooled off.  She mentioned I looked tired & hot.  I was!  No more mowing before riding!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~