March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, May 20, 2023

South from Malvern ~

 Another in a string of wonderful spring days!  As I stepped up onto the Cabin porch carrying two, one gallon jugs of water, I managed to trip.  I didn't do the back of my right knee any good at all. Regardless, I used Smokey to help me hobble over to the Explorer where I loaded the bike.

At the Depot in Malvern
My plan for the afternoon, was to drive to Malvern & ride south from there.  It's 14-miles to Imogene & I knew I wouldn't be doing a round-trip.  I decided to ride out about 6-8 miles, then turn around & return.  I had no idea if I would even be able to pedal, since walking hurt. Pedaling didn't seem to hurt at all & away I went!
Leaving - south
My first time doing this section of trail had been April 30th, 2020.  Butch had been working at Agriland & was picking me up in Imogene.  My second ride on May 29th of the same year - was my only time making a round-trip!  It wasn't just the 28-mile distance, but the hills the miles included that made it one of my most difficult rides.
Open views~

Without a ride back from Imogene, I wanted to see if what I called Cottonwood Cathedral - was within range.  I may work on this distance over the riding months to see if I can eventually do the entire round-trip.  

I discovered I had a problem - the first time I stopped to take a photo.  Stopping did not work very well.  I always use my right leg (less damaged) to put on the ground first.  My knee did Not like the job at all!  I stayed on the brakes & used the handlebars to take my weight.  Even doing so - the knee was very painful & more so every time I stopped.

Stunning spring day!
There were several groups of riders coming toward me - but no one traveling my direction.  More traffic than I'm used to on week days.  Three of the four times I've ridden this section, I was on Speedy my Electra.  Such a great bike, I still miss it!  The last time, May 12th of 2021 was on the Trek Verve 3.  It was a miserable trip ending in my first, one & only ugly dismount at Imogene.
White Cloud Trestle~
Today I was enjoying the ride so much...  I was very mad at myself for the unplanned injury.  I recognized the little cottage through the trees.  Someone told me it's available for an overnight stay to bike riders, but I've not confirmed it.
Little Cottage~
When I came up on the White Cloud Trestle, it was like visiting an old friend.  These bridges are such a historic reminder of the days the train came through.  The river here was low too.  I'd stopped to admire the day & the quiet when I hear a plunk!  I think I'd missed seeing a turtle or frog jump off a log into the water.
W. Nishnabotna River~
Since it was under 4-miles from Malvern, after a short stop, I kept going.  There are more creek crossing on this section of the trail, than the one closer to home.  The loess soils here erode at such an amazing rate.  It's obvious when you observe the depth of the creeks.
Creek from a bridge~
I was at about 5-miles & feeling the constant, but gradual uphill grade, when I came to the narrow bridge.  It too, has a deep ravine with a small creek.  I don't know why this bridge was built or re-built so much narrower than the others.  Maintenance crews certainly can't drive across this one!
Smokey at the narrow bridge~
When the GPS gave me just over six-miles, my knee agreed it was more than time to turn back, at least if I wanted to get back!  It was exasperating to not make it to my goal, but it made sense if I wanted to get back to the Explorer in intact.
Back on the White Cloud trestle~

Starting back - was fun!  I knew I'd been working pretty hard, but the fast downhill was great!  We zoomed along to the trestle.  From there on, the last few miles were more of the gradual ups & downs more common on the trail.

I was so lame when I got off for the last time, I used Smokey to hobble to the car.  At home, the ice went on the knee.  Now, I have to wait to see how long it will take to heal :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~