March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, June 26, 2023

A Bluebird Day~

 This time of year, I'm looking for at least a day to ride each week, where the temperature/humidity are somewhat moderate.  Looking back at the prior year, I try to match the same amount of ride days per month.  I needed one more for the month of June!  (Mowing, weeding & watering take up most of my days & I enjoy being out to do it!) 

Rapidly growing corn~
The corn has doubled in size just since my last ride, mid-month!  From what the farmer's are saying - it's the soy beans that are most in need of rain...  

Mari Jo's shop is closed on Monday's & she rides.  We planned to meet up, but I was delayed.  When I reached Happy Trails, she was nowhere in sight.  I got right on the trail & didn't expect to be able to catch her.  But I was just a short way out, when she came riding toward me!  She'd ridden out a mile, then turned back, just to see if I might have arrived late.  I had & we'd missed each other by only a few minutes.

Mari Jo, we're on our way~
It was good news that she hadn't made the entire ride & I'd have company on my way south to Malvern.  It was a beautiful late June day, lower 80's but a nice low dew point.  We were about half way when Mari Jo pointed out a bright splash of blue in the trees.  A Blue Bird!  He flew onto one of the taller trees & stayed long enough I could dismount to get a good look.  They are a smaller bird than I'd imagined - the color is so spectacular.  About the time I thought about trying for a photo, he flew away.
From the park back to the trail~
We rode on to the Depot & stopped there for a short break.  I'd planned on stopping at the park to call Butch.  Mari Jo had chores to finish, so left on her own.  It was quiet at the park, the pond is still full, a fish or two jumped for bugs.  No one was around, just the sound of the wind in the Cottonwoods.  I called Butch & we talked for a while before I returned to the trail.
Cattails around the wetland~
Even without any rain, things have remained so green.  The wetland is holding quite a bit of water & the cattails look so pretty blowing in the wind.  The trip south had been fast & when I turned to head back north - I soon knew why!  There was a stiff wind coming from the NW & we'd had it at our backs.

The return trip took a little more effort!  The mulberries were all over the trail!  One little family was out trying to collect the last of the ripe ones off the trees.  I stopped too - picking & enjoying the few I could reach.  
Back on the Trestle~
The decking on the bridges is so dry now, the boards are turning up at the ends.  It makes quite a racket when I ride over.  

By the time I'd returned to Happy Trails, Smokey was covered with smushed berries!  Back in Glenwood, the car wash was my next stop!  It's way easier to clean them off with the pressure there, than at home!  Mission accomplished!  We'll see how the weather is the remainder of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~