March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, June 18, 2023

Seeking Shade - Lake Manawa ~

 When I decided to ride at Lake Manawa, I wasn't thinking about the Father's Day weekend.  My thought was - smooth trails & a fast ride on hard surface's.  I also didn't consider that most of the ride is in the bright, hot sun.  

Two-miles into the ride~
I parked at the Wabash Trail Head, in Council Bluffs & rode the long east side section, to the neighborhood near the lake.  I was already looking for a spot of shade & had only ridden 2-miles!  By the time I reached the welcome coolness under the tree, I seriously considered turning back.  It was blazing hot, upper 80's.  Thankfully the humidty was fairly low. 
By the old Cottonwood~
Butch had called earlier in the day & was leaving Snowville, UT on his way to an organic dairy in Platteville, CO for a Monday delivery.  Riding is always good therapy & since today was to be the coolest in the upcoming week, I saddled up.  Traffic along the Veterans Memorial Highway was heavy, but it didn't take me long to do the few blocks & turn off into the old campground.  It had been mowed, but otherwise had it's usual abandoned look.
New paving!
The stretch of trail up the west side of the lake was sweltering!  Not too much wind & I appreciated any breeze at all.  As I crossed the bridge at Indian Creek, a new trail surface awaited!  Paving!  It was so smooth, all the old cracks & bumbs gone.  The only problem, was the heat radiating from the fresh black surface.  
A short break~
Taking the trail to my favorite break spot, I realized in short order - the entire shoreline of the lake was heavily populated with weekend visitors.  All the picnic areas were full to overflowing & the covered shelter was reserved for a private baby shower.  The water was full of boats & all types of watercraft were zipping everywhere!  I headed for the big Cottonwood close to the shoreline for a little shade before finishing the ride.  (I decided to take a second electrolyte & was glad I did.)

I was totally discusted to see all the trash!  Trash was Everywhere!  Tiny pieces, big pieces, the ground was completely covered with it.  Such a shame to see a public area that's been relatively pristine, in such a mess...  It would take someone at least a couple hours just to clean up this one area.  There's simply no excuse & it was very sad to see.  
Back to the main trail~
Smokey & I left - anxious to finish the final few miles back to the trail head.  There were no other bikes on the trail, I picked up my pace.  Back at the Explorer, the parking area was still more than half full of cars, so most other riders must have opted for the shade of the Wabash, heading south.

The first thing I did - was turn on the engine & AC to start cooling off the inside of the Explorer!  I stopped at Hy Vee, made it home & had downloaded my Garmin by the time Butch called for our evening chat.  (I was surprised to see I'd made my fastest ride ever over that route!)  Our temperatures are already running 5+ degrees above normal for the time of year...  I think my hopes of a cooler summer have been dashed~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~