March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, June 4, 2023

The Thunder Rolled ~

 With the welcome rain, the heat & humidity have soared.  The end of last week was close to miserable.  I'd go out & be soaked to the skin in minutes.  Any exertion felt like I was carrying a heavy pack.  Today was supposed to be a few degrees cooler - if the upper 80's is cool.  The humidity too - had dropped just a little.  

As I left Glenwood & turned onto Gaston Rd., the clouds turned dark & the rain hit hard.  The wipers were hardly clearing the windsheild, even on high.  But just a couple miles later; in Silver City, the clouds were off to the west & it was dry.  

A couple were at Happy Trails & had just come in off the trail from Malvern. They said the trail south bound was in pretty good condition, with only a few soft spots.  I decided to go. 

Lush & wet~
When I left, I didn't think I'd go all the way to Malvern.  But after reaching the Trestle, the sky was clearning & the clouds were to the west.  The rain had dropped the temperature & there was a light breeze.
Silver Creek - west from the Trestle~
Plenty good enough for me to continue on south.  The creek was muddy & higher than it's been in forever, so good to see.  Just as I stopped - I saw a deer standing right in the middle of the creek!  By the time I got my phone out to snap that perfect photo - she'd crossed into the woods.
Clouds to the West~
When I reached the open section of trail at the dirt road crossing, the clouds seemed to be moving to the north.  It looked like the further south I went, the more rain had been received.
At the Pond~
When I reached the park, the sky had changed!  It looked like the storms were moving in from the east, unusual for us.  The clouds were heavier & more ominous looking than earlier.  I called Butch, but we didn't talk for long.  I had a feeling I'd better move on & start my return  of eight + miles soon!
At the Trestle again~
By now, it was obvious the afternoon had changed!  I could hear the sound of the rolling thunder from both sides of the trail.  No lightening so far, thank heaven!  But the loud booms of thunder were more than enough to keep me motivated.
Silver creek~
Looking down - I saw the strangest pattern in the water!  It looked like rain drops were hitting everywhere, but it wasn't yet raining!  The wind wasn't blowing either, but the thunder was almost non-stop.  I decided standing in the middle of a steel bridge - over water - was not the smartest thing I've ever done!
3-miles to go~
We'd no more than cleared the Trestle when the rain hit!  It was instantaneous & the wind was gusting from the east!  Every stroke of the pedals became tougher as Smokey's tires started sinking into the softening surface of the limestone.  It gets incredibly slippery too, as does the wood decking on the bridges.  It was a long three miles until we reached the concrete at the edge of Silver City.
Looking back the way I'd come~
Mari Jo was standing under the cover at Happy Trails watching for me.  She said they'd received a good downpour while  I was gone & there was a weather warning for another strong storm & hail.  She kindly got out her hose so I could wash the grime off Smokey before loading the bike.  In the few minutes that took - the rain hit town again.
Smokey & the Explorer~
I was more than happy to be inside Happy Trails & out of the rain.  I stayed long enough to wipe the water off, before heading home.  At home, even though we'd received .05 while I was gone, the sun was breaking through the clouds.  The weather predicition is for more unsettled weather this coming week.  No complaints - rain is welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~