March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, May 29, 2020

The Green Cathedral~

Today was The Day!  I could hardly wait to head to Malvern & get Speedy on the trail.  My goal has been to ride more than 25-miles.  The Wabash from Malvern to Imogene is 13.6 - I planned on doing it round-trip.
Speedy under the Malvern Arch~
The little arch in Malvern was green now, with blooms!  The weather was perfect.  Sunny, low humidity & not a lot of wind.  Starting out - the limbs of the huge trees arching overhead - green leaves so lush & the trail itself - blending into the shadows below - gave me pause.  It was the feeling of entering a great Cathedral.
Over the l o n g - bridge!
I'd done this stretch before.  My plan was to make as good a time as I could on the way out, then take it easy coming back.  I wanted to be back to Agriland by 5 & had left just a few minutes after 1.
Virginia Waterleaf!
It wasn't long though before I was stopping for a photo.  The Virginia Waterleaf was in full bloom!  Banks of blossoms up the sides of the hills, all along the trail~  I couldn't help but think of how each of the wildflowers has it's season, one after the other.  Almost as though planned for our maximum enjoyment.
Tree down!
I almost laughed when 5.5 miles out from Malvern, a tree had blown down over the trail!  This was so common in Western, WA - but the first I've seen here.  Luckily there was just enough room to squeeze under the high end & not get in the mud at the side of the trail.
Blackberry?!
One portion of the trail & only one, had quite a few vines, all in bloom.  It sure looks like blackberry to me.  I'm going to have to do this ride again, just so I can see the fruit to confirm the id.
Arrival - Imogene~
We'd made it to Imogene in 1:35 hours.  Speedy had been moving right along.  In retrospect, I was moving too fast.  I'd made the cardinal Endurance Newby mistake of increasing both speed & distance.  I took a ten-min. break, before turning back.
Rivers, running higher & muddy~
The first gradual climb out from Imogene was a killer.  After the stop, it took a while for my knees to decide they needed to continue.  I got off once & walked up one long grade.  The wind had picked up & was blowing right at me - of course.
Back to the trestle~
I just dug deep & kept on moving.  Forward motion always seems to do the trick!  Once I reached the Trestle, I knew we only had 4.5 miles to go!  Yippee!
Muddy~
I'd taken one electrolyte on my way out, then another before I left Imogene.  Now, I was down to one small drink of water left in my bottle.  I've learned the hard way - to save that last swallow.  I could have taken another electrolyte, but not without water.  Once I get my rack & pack I'll be able to carry an extra bottle.
Coming into Malvern~
There were three men on bikes up ahead.  As I got closer, I could see they were totally blocking the trail on the far side of the road.  They'd seen me approach.  I had to literally ride around them on the grass!  Rude!

Back at Agriland, I didn't see Butch, so rode right into the big shop, around all the equipment & out the far side where the Bronco was parked.  It was like riding on glass - so smooth - after all the miles of limestone.

I'd ridden 27.24 miles in 3:17 hrs. with a moving speed of 8.7 & 833 ft. of elevation gain.  I was born with a yearn for wide-open spaces.  Riding horses all the years I have - filled that need.  The bike is a working substitute.  A way to be out far enough - to hear the music of nature~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~