March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Boehner Pond to the Trestle ~

 Without rain, it was another day of blazing, beautiful sunshine & bright blue skies.  Thankfully, the strong winds that have been blowing for days now, had calmed.  It's irritating when the temperatures are so warm, days so bright & yet the howling winds keeps me from riding.

Leaving the Pond~
The upside of our ultra dry conditions - is being able to ride the Wabash again.  The park gates are open for the season.  I was happy to be able to park on a flat surface where it's much easier to unload Smokey.  After a circuit of the pond, I rode out to connect with the trail & turned north.  
Underpass~
There wasn't anyone at all around.  I was surprised, since it was almost a windless day.  Getting warmed up is always a bit of a chore, but once I am, I enjoy every minute of the ride.  I haven't done a section with grades for a long while.  When I look back, I haven't done much at all since my leg injury.  The leg gets stiff & sore enough after riding just a relatively flat section of trail.
Soon to be green fields~
That's part of the reason I've been thinking of an electric bike for a couple years now...  I can't believe I'd turn to the dark side, but I'd be able to travel farther & see sections of the trail I haven't ridden since before 2020.  
No further work on the Trestle~
When I arrived at the Trestle, I expected to see changes from my last visit on 2/25.  If there had been any, I think I would have noticed.  I'm sure it will be done before the next big event June 8th, but it doesn't seem to be a priority to expedite completion for local riders.  I'm sure I'm not the only one missing my usual route.
Silver Creek from the Trestle~
I walked out to see the river shining in the late afternoon sun.  It's such a quiet spot & I enjoy it so much when I have it to myself.  I would enjoy it even more if we had enough rain to raise the level of the water.
Woods~
The wooded area along the creek is so pretty, no matter the time of year.  There's not much green to be seen yet, rain would sure help.  The weather man said yesterday that we've broken a decade long record, going over 53 days without measurable precipitation.
Boehner Pond~
I turned back & made great time, with the little breeze at my back!  The next ride I'm going to have to try a more difficult section of trail & see how I do.  The repair work to the West Nishnabotna Trestle south of Malvern has been completed, but I have to gear myself up to tackle that long, uphill grade.  Otherwise, I'll have to try leaving from Mineola.  Another section that is uphill both directions.  We'll see how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~