March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, March 28, 2021

North from Shenandoah~

 Sunday was such a beautiful day!  I mentioned a bike ride to Butch & he agreed.  We hadn't been to Shenandoah for a long while.  The Depot was open for indoor dining - so we stopped there first for lunch.

Butch at the Train Station~

There wasn't much activity at Sportsman's Park.  I couldn't remember much about the trail from my last ride south from Malvern.  It had been since early May of last year.  I thought it had been relatively easy.

Bridge over the Nishnabotna River~
With just a light breeze & riding on the paving, it didn't take us long to reach the river.
Butch on the bridge~
Soon after, we ran off the paving & back to the limestone.  It was dry, but had deep groves each time the trail crossed a road.  I think the run-off from the road softens the trail & bikes had been on it, when it was still too wet.  In the photo below you can see the ruts.
To the pond~
We took a break on the bench here.  The frogs were croaking, a sound we both miss from nights in WA, during late winter & early spring.  To this point, we'd gone three-miles, all of it an uphill grade.  The wind had picked up too.
Where we turned back~
The next mile, continued on the same.  We reached 160th.  It looked like we'd have downhill from this point on, toward Imogene, but my leg said;  "No!" in a big way.  It had bottomed out - with the continual climb. :-(  We decided to turn back.
Butch coming up the grade~
Butch stayed game throughout!  He never mentioned turning back, until I did!  At least - as I told him - we knew the way back would be all downhill!
Back at the Park~
  I was a little discouraged my leg hadn't worked better, but I'm still a way from the year the Doctor's told me healing would take.  We did get a workout, 8-miles, half of it up!  Pretty good for so early in the season.  Enough of one, we stopped for ice cream before heading home! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~