March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Brushy Creek Recreation Area~

Our first time camping in Iowa & in 18-months!  I was so happy we'd be visiting the Brushy Creek Recreation Area.  Every horseperson I've talked to said it was the nicest place to ride in our state.

It was our shakedown trip & required new logistics.  The drive down to the barn where Farah is boarded is so steep, we decided to pick her up with the Bronco & bring her home.  Once home, Butch would hitch the trailer to the truck & we'd be on our way.  The trailer had a flat...  Only the second time in 22-years & heaven knows how many miles - that has happened.  Butch put the spare on, took the tire for a repair & we were on the road a little later than we'd planned.  Traveling here is so different from what we've been used to.  No multiple lanes full of stop & go traffic, no stop lights & once we turned off I-80, just miles of country roads with no one in front of us the entire way.  A 185-mile trip, I used both Google Maps & a paper map to navigate our route.
Farah stands tied~
Check-in time was 4 p.m. & we were there well before that.  I was a little concerned - we'd never asked Farah to stand tied for a weekend.  She's always camped in her electric corral where she can move around, roll, etc.  Our spot was in the north campground, it's smaller than the very large one to the south.  A beautiful area with clean restrooms & plenty of water hydrants.  Almost everyone had huge rigs with large living quarters, the comfortable choice here in such wide-open country.
Setting up camp~
Butch hooked the beefy carabineer clip I use with my Blocker Tie-Ring to the heavy gauge wire bolted between the hitching posts.  It took Farah about two-seconds to figure out she could walk from one end of the posts to the other, the clip sliding along.  I was so proud of her.  Not once over the weekend did, she test it, even when we were away at the registration table & the nearest horses left on a ride.

We'd volunteered to help with the BCHIA Poker ride.  Sat. morning, we woke to sunshine & what seemed like a very cold wind!  Registration started at 8:30 & we finished up a little after 10:00.  By then my hands were frozen stiff & I was ready to saddle up & see what I could of the over 40-miles of trail!
On our way!
Farah was feeling fresh, I had on my North Face vest!  We had a map, our neighbors had offered to wait to ride out with me, but they had one young horse described as slow to the extreme.  I decided we'd be better off on our own.
The view from the Preserve Trail~
We traveled about two miles south along the edge of the park road, before finding a rider who told us we were on track.  Around the next corner would be the start of one of the prettiest trails here.  Wow - is about all I can say!  It was totally like something out of a Mark Twain story!
Perfect footing~
Farah is barefoot & the footing couldn't have been nicer!  Soft dirt & we did some moving out!
Underpass~
After riding through the stunning timber, we came out on the above underpass, just a couple miles from the south equestrian camp.  We met so many friendly riders & it was such an incredibly beautiful day!
South camp~
 We took a short break here - most riders were out to get their five punches to draw five cards & be eligible for some of the great prizes.  As usual my cards didn't win us anything - so after a snack I decided to head north & take different trails.
Woodland~
The country in the park is so varied!  From timber to grasslands, each area so different than I'd imagined.  I decided to find the All-Weather Trail around the lake to get back to our camp.
At the stream~
It was so wonderful to find this beautiful stream!  The water was crystal clear with a rock bottom.  We were both reminded of Pilchuck Creek, one of Farah's favorite spots.  She waded in, stood out in the middle & yawned.
Field of Grass~
In places it was like riding through a Monet painting.  Just the wind blowing the tall grass~
Sunflowers~
We came to a couple places where finding the trail was a little sketchy.  At this point there was no signage & we followed a dirt track for a couple miles before I realized we were going away from the lake.
First Bridge~
We turned back, took the other way & found the first of the bridges.  I really had no idea just how big this lake was!  Farah started across the bridge, just one stop to check the piece of transition steel she made sure to step on :-) Being barefoot - she didn't get the usual ringing sound shoes make :-)
So Beautiful!
Once across we found this amazing trail through the big timber.  This All-Weather trail has a crushed limestone surface - very nice - horses are allowed throughout the year.
On the trail around the lake~
At least now I felt like we were on the right track.   The map I had was cut off at the top, so didn't show the trail to the north we'd need to get back to camp.
Mileage marker 7?
When we found this marker - I was sure we were on the trail around the lake.  I called Butch & told him that we'd probably be back in about an hour.  Boy was I wrong!
Another view of the lake~
This lake has so many fingers - around every turn was another incredible view.  Even with the stiff wind, the surface of the lake was amazingly smooth - just light windswept ripples.
My favorite view~
Another couple miles - we made a turn & ended up at the bridge we'd crossed to get here!  No way!  I had No idea how we'd done that & it certainly didn't show any loop trails on the map I had...  So - we crossed back the way we'd come & looked for another trail going the direction I thought we needed to go.  
A different Bridge!
By now it was almost 4 p.m., the clouds were moving in & we were down to three pieces of carrot & three grapes :-) I told Farah we'd both be getting pretty hungry if we didn't find our way back soon!  As luck would have it - my Garmin hadn't taken a full charge & the battery failed about half-way through our loop, so it was useless.   I had a feeling Farah's feet were getting tender from the crushed rock.  I'd been dismounting & walking a mile now & then to give her some relief. 
Final lake view~
We crossed the bridge & met a couple fishermen standing in water along the dike trying to get their boat engine started.  Neither had any idea where the north campground was.  We came to another intersection & road to another boat ramp.  Finally - there was another marker with the number 3!  I no longer trusted these markers - but gave Butch one more call & told him this time we were again going to be back in an hour!  Farah decided to take charge, (It was getting close to her dinner time, after all!) & moving over into the tall weeds along the side of the trail & hit her trot!  
Our Route from the North to the South Equestrian Camp~
Suddenly, I could see trailers through the trees!  It didn't look anything like the way we'd gone out - but once we came up the final hill - I realized we'd returned to the north Equestrian camp at the far end from where we'd left!  Yippee!  It was five p.m.! 

Farah got her bath & dinner.  We'd both had a blast!  It was just so wonderful to have miles & miles of trail to ride without running into a perimeter fence.  We covered over 22-miles & I didn't even get to all the trails I wanted to!

Sunday, we woke to a chill wind & light rain.  Butch had a trip to Des Moines on his schedule for early Monday - so we packed up & headed home.  It was a really enjoyable trip to a beautiful place!

2 comments:

Always Welcome~