March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Pierce Creek - Golden Days~

It struck me as I was driving to Pierce Creek - that I've reached my Golden Years. I'm still doing what I've been doing for many years now - Ridin'.  The path to fulfillment - has always been for me - spending time outside, a good horse & a place to ride.
Day Parking~
The day was absolutely glorious!  Heat gone, humidity gone, low 70's & a wind to keep the bugs at bay.  The perfect day to go to Pierce Creek.  I've got the drive down pat now & looked forward to easy riding.
Park entrance~
There was one trailer already there!  A lady was riding back in on a very nice mule as I was putting Farah's headstall on.  Farah was so busy gawking at mule that it took me a second attempt with the bit.  With the strong wind & fresh air, she was high.  We did a couple of the obstacles before heading out on the trails.
Perfection~
Here, riders take long summer vacations to go horse camping in nearby states.  When they ride locally - it's usually the weekends.  For me, I ride during the week.  Butch & I have always enjoyed spending weekends together.  We keep occupied with on-going projects & taking exploratory drives around our new state.
Across the dike~
I am looking forward to a couple fall camping trips we have planned & an out-of- state adventure or two next year - but overall - I've become more of a home person. 
Hardwood fence posts - last forever~
Farah & I both enjoyed the ease of these trails - after our weeks of riding at Waubonsie.
In the Timber~
The timber section here is just so stunning & old.  I'd love to know how this large section managed to survive not being cut for farming over the years.  Someone had the forethought to save it.
Fungus on a log~
We were about to exit the Timber when I realized that without the bugs attacking us, we could actually stop & take a lunch break!  :-)  
Farah~
Farah loves the smorgasbord of plants that she can sample.
Flowers in the sun~
Yellows dominated!  Everywhere I looked yellow flowers, weeds etc. were in full bloom.  A few of the Walnut leaves were blowing through the air - yellow too.  There was just a hint of the smell of Fall in the air.
Milkweed~
The Milkweed was going to seed & the Monarch butterflies were playing in the breeze, more than I've seen in forever.  Butterflies were everywhere!
Goldenrod~
There were many varieties of Butterflies all through the Goldenrod - plenty of pollens here!  We watched a pair of Goldfinch darting back & forth through the brush.
View from the top corner~
Farah had no issues with crossing the dike - she took a sideways look at the outflow - but otherwise trotted right across.
Heading back across the dike~
We went over to what I call the far trails - on the far side of an access road.  Farah again picked up her fast trot & was heading for the uphill trail along the far fence with a purpose!  She grabbed the bit & went from zero to 24 in about three strides :-)  That with me asking her to slow, since I knew how fast we'd run out of running room!
Coming back to the trailer~
There was a different rig parked behind us by the time we returned.  This lady had a young horse on a lead & was taking him through the obstacles.  Great place to do that!
Rope of shame~
After hosing her down - I tied my long rope to her halter.  For whatever reason, she's tried to wander off here more than once.  I think that she considers this area horse heaven :-)
American Warmblood Brand~
As I was sitting at the picnic table, I noticed that I could see her brand again!  It's funny - but I think it's always about this time of year that it shows up.  Maybe the winter hairs starting to grow in?
Forever Views~
On such a beautiful day, enjoying the quiet solitude is just grand!  It's so darn sad (for horsemen anyway) that a gun range has to be nearby & was active most every day of the holiday weekend.  They are active during the week too - there's a number you can call to check on the activity on the Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~