March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, September 2, 2017

Farah - 5,000+ Miles!

Farah & Khari 6-17-2011
I've been planning to add up Farah's miles for a long while.  I knew it would be a chore, since I've changed Garmin's & the Garmin Connect site has changed too.  Their reports used to be so great!  You could set any start & end date & the stats from that period would come up.  Last year they changed that.  Now you can only select a period of time that doesn't necessarily coincide with the period you may want.

I thought the first year 2011 - would be the most difficult - but I'd set up an excel spread sheet & kept track of every ride & mile.  Not many on Farah, since we didn't bring her home until June.  I was riding Khari & once I'd made the decision to sell Khari, I still had the responsibility of keeping her in condition for the sale.
12-31-12 Mt. Pilchuck - our way home~
2012 - We battled some form of scratches on Farah's hind leg, that started in November.  She stayed at Dean's farm until the middle of May.  I rode out from there a couple times a week - but Dean only wanted us out long enough to reduce the swelling.  I didn't ride Farah at all in January & only a few times in February, March & May.  After Khari shipped out in June, Farah became my priority.

I didn't keep a spread sheet & had purchased a new Garmin Forerunner 310 XT.  For whatever reason my old Garmin's miles were gone.  My activity mileage, on the Connect site, now only goes back to March of 2012.  Riding both horses, I didn't always note which horse I rode.  I had to go back & look at photos - there were only a couple rides that didn't have any.  My old blog posts helped & between all that - I sorted out Farah's miles.
12-31-13 View from Stimson Hill~
2013 - Was the first year I entered the Distance Derby - those miles were documented.  The photo above is of my favorite place to ride - with my friend Joyce.  We made a plan to do this ride every New Years Eve, but life got in the way.
12-22-2014 Out from Home~
2014 - We were again in the Derby & again our miles were posted.  It really was an incredible year of riding - I didn't realize then- just how blessed we were.
6-13-2015 Nehalem Bay, OR
2015 - I decided to start the Washington Trail Riders Distance Derby - for the state of WA.  It was fun & really interesting to see how many miles just riders in our state could ride!  I don't remember what the total was - but I think it was close to 25,000 miles!
10-14-2016 Sheridan, WY
By 2016 - I was tired of logging miles.  I rode because I love to ride.  I didn't even think about making a certain distance milestone.  I continued to ride with my Garmin & download the stats to my Connect site.  The year ended up being so challenging in so many ways - I never did total up our miles until recently.

2017 - Riding in Iowa - has been interesting to say the least.  Boarding Farah, the cold, icy winter months, stormy spring, buggy, hot/humid summer...  Long drives to find anyplace to ride & very limited riding even so.  It hasn't stopped us - our routines have changed - but our love of the trail remains the same~
5-26-2017 View of the Missouri River~
When I finished with my calculations - I found that we passed 5,000 miles in the middle of the Mt. Adams Endurance Ride, May 2016!  How fitting!  Farah is as sound as ever - forward as ever - beautiful as ever & enjoys the trails as much as I do.
  I'm fine, I'm Ridin' ~

4 comments:

  1. I have to apologize, I didn't realize that it had been such a while since I stopped by HHP - now I've added you to my bloglist, I shall be sure not to lose track of you.
    I have occasionally thought I would log my miles, but I always fall out of the habit instead of into it, though so long as I keep riding that is all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize that I wasn't moderating my comments! You are so right - it's all about the ride! :-)

      Delete
  2. So many great miles!! So many great memories :)

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~