March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, September 8, 2017

Learning my Cues~

We left for Waubonsie around noon & no one was around when we arrived.  It was very warm, mid-80's - or seemed so after the last few days of wonderful, cooler weather.  Since the bugs were already attacking at the trailer when I was saddling up - I decided that Farah could wear her bug bonnet.
On our way~
 After six-years together - Farah has me pretty well trained!  Today - I realized that she has probably taught me as many cues as I've taught her :-)
Sunshine on the leaves~
One of my funniest cues, is when she comes to an abrupt halt - circles her body around my leg, then  turns her head just enough to makes eye contact.  This means;  "There's a bug on my butt!"  Sure enough - every time - there's a horse fly to smack!
Snacking~
 There's the snack cue too - this one comes usually at the top of a big climb, a slow-down, a hesitation & half-halt.  The half-halt is the cue that someone wants to stop for a bite.  If she doesn't find what she likes on the ground...
Foraging~
 There's always the tree leaves!  She really seemed to like the leaves of the Paw Paw tree, but I only let her have a bite or two.  I have no idea if they are good or bad for her.  They say that one of the reasons horses have lasted so long as a species is their ability to forage for food.  They are not classified as grazers, but foragers.
Dry marsh area~
 The area above, usually holds some water, but since we've had no rain for a couple weeks now, it's down to the muddy bottom.
Wildlife prints~
It was pretty interesting to see the different animals footprints in the mud.  All looking for the water I'm sure.
New hole :-(
 I looked down to see that I've worn a hole in the side of my Crazy Leg Tights :-)  Right where my right hand holds my stick.  Maybe I'll ask Diane to make me a pair with a wear patch in this spot?  The cotton don't last as long - but they are the coolest in the hot temps.
Bottom of the middle loop~
 I've finally memorized the layout of the trails - it takes me a while - as Farah well knows!  She made sure today that we took the loop I'd looked for last week.

When we rode into camp, a huge rig was parked right behind us.  Bad me, I'd not checked the campsite sign to see that it had been reserved.  Raylan (one of the park rangers) had just driven in. I apologized to him & moved the Bronco & trailer up & out of the way.

I'd noticed when we'd pulled in - the manure pits were brim full.  We'd cleaned these down to the dirt during our workparty.  I watched as the rigs came in, horses were unloaded into the corrals, but then - people proceeded to clean out their trailers & dump the manure in the already overflowing areas at each end of the corrals!  Is this a lack of education, manners or WHAT?!  It certainly is not in keeping with the Back Country Horseman's Leave No Trace ethics.  We'd had this problem at the tree farms in WA - private property & even there people would clean out their trailers & toss the debris into the woods.

I wanted So badly to say something...  but I really felt it wasn't my place & I'd just end up making people defensive.  I'm going to bring the topic up when I speak to Rayland again - maybe signage would help?  Something to the effect;  "Pack it in, Pack it Out!"  I'm also going to check into obtaining some Leave No Trace pamphlets to hand out.

Update~  Here, using the manure bunkers is a perfectly acceptable practice & the parks allow for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~