March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Zero G's~

Since our forecast is one of temperatures warming into the 90's by weeks end, mid-80's would have to do.  The air is full of what I think is the dust from all the gravel roads.  This has been about the longest period this summer that we've not had rain.
Carrying a mouthful~
It was nice to pull into Waubonsie & have everything quiet.  Everything except the bugs!  They were out in full force.  Small flies - that were at the stable too, big horse fly's, something that did a lot of buzzing...  Even with spray slathered on us both - we were both bitten more than once.
My Stonewall~
My Stonewall is finally broken in.  It's been almost two-years now & we've had no issues with it - which is a saddle blessing that was a long time coming.  I still wish the seat were a little deeper & the twist a little narrower.  Jackie has reminded me that Farah is not a small bodied mare & requires a medium tree.
Honeysuckle~
Someone was full of energy today - a surprise with the heat.  She attacked the first of the hills with a vengeance.  I'm still not sure just how she accomplished it, but one minute I was in the saddle & the next I was in the air.  Both feet came up in the stirrups, my seat left the saddle & for a long instant I was suspended.  A millisecond later - I reconnected with the saddle - as we crested the top.
Beautiful trails~
It's so nice to have a place to ride that seems so changeable & where almost all the trails are totally in the shade of the deciduous timber.  We weren't out too far when I heard a huge rustle of feather & Farah went sideways.  A turkey had flown up just a foot or two off the trail!  He perched about 40 feet up in a tree as we went by.  The first I've seen here.
Vine on the hitching rail post~
It's been fun too, to play games.  Once the stats are downloaded, it's interesting comparing our time from one ride to the next - doing an identical pattern - or changing it up.
White blooming Nettles?
I'm pretty sure that these plants are Stinging Nettles, or their cousins.  The white blooms on both sides of the trail were beautiful - even if they're not flowers in the true sense of the word.
Ah  Shade~
The photo above is of one of Farah's favorite places to take a break.  Mine too, as it's up on a ridge & there's usually a little breeze that keeps the bugs away.
Young Coyote~
As we turned out on our final loop, I saw something up ahead on the trail.  I got out the camera & got one shot of this young Coyote before he turned into the brush.  He was looking a little skinny - so hope he found a rodent or two for his dinner.
After her bath~
Farah really enjoys her baths on hot days - our new hose & nozzle works great & gets the job done much faster than a sponge.  She gets just enough time to dry - before the bugs find her again & the spray goes back on.

We headed for home & pulled in to wait for Butch.  Farah loves grazing in the yard & walks away when Butch goes to gather her up for the trip back to the stable.  Nika was even OK with it & had the gumption to circle Farah at a run!  :-)  She'd still like to herd her - but is smart enough to know better.
My Red Geranium's & Farah~
My germaniums have done well this summer - they grow much bushier than they did in Washington, but have about the same amount of blooms.  It wont' be long before I have to get them back into pots for the long months of the winter season.  

2 comments:

  1. I have a begonia in a huge pot that I have brought into my kitchen for winter the last decade - I can hardly believe it does so well that it flowers year round.
    Your Farah is always so darn pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had any luck with begonia's, glad you keep the tradition alive! Farah thanks you!

      Delete

Always Welcome~