March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Friday, April 27, 2018

Days Gone By ~

A busy day, I'd talked Linus out of more of his marigold seeds & wanted to get them planted. Hopefully, they'll all bloom about the same time.  Now - we finally have our spring - there's so much I want to get done.  Even so, I couldn't pass up the good weather & wanted to get Farah out again this week.
Toward the east side of the farm~
Out at the farm, the wind was blowing much stronger than it had been at home.  I decided that since a farmer was disking in one of the fields we ride along, we'd head to the yet unexplored east side of the farm.  This gave Farah an opportunity to see the neighbors horses through the timber.  But though they were interested in her, she ignored them.  
The Windmill~
It was an almost cloudless, blue sky!  I forgot my camera, so used my phone - no zoom :-(  Farah loves our rides, because we take short breaks to let her take a bite or two.  The grass is just so lush now that it almost looks edible to me!  From the top of the hill, I could see a line of trees in the distance & decided to go that way.
Keg Creek
We were rewarded with beautiful views of Keg Creek.  There was a nice wide grassy strip running parallel.  I turned south to follow along.  In exactly a mile we came to another Level B road.  This one more rutted & used than our running hill.
A very old bridge~
We crossed a culvert that went from the road to the field, holes rusted through it in places.  Easy for Equipment to cross, but I worried about Farah breaking through.  Turning west, we came to the above bridge.  Safe for 12 tons :-)  We turned back here - saving this road for another day.
Cattails~
Turning back north, then east, we followed the edge of the cornfield to a little secluded gully area where I thought I'd seen something on our way out.
Timber & a deer trail~
It was a beautiful spot for a stop.  Though we're both used to the wind, it's nice to take a little break from it when you can.  We'd been hit with a couple terrific blasts that blew my helmet back on my head.  I've got the chinstrap now as tight as I can stand it.
Farah enjoying our break~
Farah will be very happy when her new pasture is fenced.  We hope to get a start on that this weekend.  I was looking at the trails, when I spotted a fallen building in the trees.
Fallen Barn~
I'm so leery of running into barbed wire & other assorted rusted stuff, that I followed it on foot, staying on the deer path.  Wandering around, I wondering what it had all looked like way back - when it had been a working farm...
Roof down~
We carefully made our way to the far side.  I wondered where the house had been - but there was no sign of it.  Once back at the farm, I did chores until Butch arrived. 

We enjoyed dinner with Janice & Dean.  Janice warned me of yet another hazard I hadn't thought of  - old wells...  Where there was a home site, there would have been a well & some have never been filled or capped.  There aren't many of these places left, as I've mentioned before, but I sure enjoy visiting them.  

(This was the last ride I did with vision in both eyes.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~