March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Windless ~

The most stunning, beautiful day we've had so far this spring!  Just the lightest of breezes & no bugs yet.  Brilliant - yet not hot sunshine & at least the grass is now green & growing!
West side of the farm~
I didn't realize when I took this photo that it is also part of the farm - so now Farah & I can add this to our loop.  I love seeing the windmills that are still intact & turning - even though this day the breeze wasn't enough to keep it whirling.
Into a hole~
I've been using the tracks of the equipment when I find them to ride on, thinking they might have less holes.  We were moving a little faster when I felt Farah's hind leg drop & sure enough, her hoof had broken through into the hole.  There aren't usually fresh dirt mounds - so they're incredibly hard to see.  

Farah has figured out quickly where the best footing is & avoids the old tough corn stocks.  We both prefer the soybean fields, since the stubble there is much shorter & easier to navigate.  Shortly after I took the above photo, we flushed a huge turkey out of the brush & into the air!

We come out of the fields onto our running road.  We trot up, trot down, then gallop out to where it meets the blacktop.  I save our faster work for the trip back.  
A truly beautiful creek~
Today, I hoped to explore an area Dean had told me about, where he used to squirrel hunt.  He had mentioned that it was a huge track of timber & beautiful.  I found an opening in a fence, went around a field & was thrilled to see a path into the timber.
On the path~
There are ponds & the creek is in the most natural state of any I've seen to date.  I do now believe the rumors that a Bobcat, or possibly even a bigger cat may live here.  It was so beautiful now, that I can't imagine how pretty it will be once the trees finally open their buds & turn green!
Back into the fields~
Our way back was simply grand.  Far from any roads, no noise, just the peace of the magnificent fields & countryside.  

Farah is finally responding to the idea that she doesn't need to pretend she's a run-a-way to go fast.  It's a shorter run than we used to do in WA & there's no blind corners - a blessing.  But a straight-a-way gets her excited.  Today, she moved smoothly into a beautiful gallop, we were in contact, but I didn't take a strong hold.  Instead & asked her for more speed & she gave it!  A burst I knew had to be her fastest to date & it was.  The heart monitor tells me that with every ride her recoveries are coming quicker.

Back at the farm, I did chores before Dean & Janice picked me up to go to dinner.  Butch was driving late, so it was nice to have dinner with friends.  We might take him next time :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~