March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Vaccinations & a Ride~

I was at the farm early.  The sun was blazing in the east & it was a whopping 24 degrees.  Dr. Conover from Nebraska Equine arrived right on time to give Farah her vaccinations.  We started with a small dose of Banamine, then followed the protocol Dean had used successfully in past years.  Rhino-flu from Calvenza, EEE, WEE, VEE, Rabies & West Nile from Boehringer Ingelheim.  No five-way this year!
Cookies make everything better~
I stayed an hour, went to Gathering Place for coffee with my husband, then back to the farm.  After lunch, I returned again & Farah was certainly back to her normal self.  Since it was just a magnificent day, I decided to saddle up.
Looking north at the farm~
We went south, either following along the terraces, timbered edges of the fields, or on the grassy areas between the road & the fields.  Every hill top has a view & we enjoy them all.
The farm~
It's so just great to see how relaxed & happy the gold girl is now.  She's adaptable, but to see her so content does my heart good.  She's really enjoying our new routines & beyond doubt - her new home.  When Butch arrived back at the bus barn today, the driver who goes past the farm mentioned Farah had  a blanket on?  Butch said;  "Yes, it keeps Connie warm."  :-)  With over half her winter coat shed out - I do feel better on these cold nights!
The holes!
We found a perfect grassy running hill, but I'm so cautious now.  Sure enough, we found several holes hidden in the grass.  Further along, nearer the road was this large one.
"Anybody home?"
There are smaller holes, medium holes, but it's these big ones that I've finally gotten Farah to notice.  Even once we establish our track, I don't think it would be safe to travel at any speed.  We came out at the Level B dirt road, we found on our first ride.  I'm working to moderate our canter, but someone wanted to run & fought me up to 25.6 under a strong hold!  I'd forgotten my heart monitor again, but have it in the Bronco now!  She wasn't even breathing hard.  Amazing mare.
Heading back~
We could just see a very pretty small lake on the far side of the fence line we were following.  So pretty!  I caught sight of something white on the grass?   Our first trophy!   
Five points!
Of course I had to tie it to the saddle & thought about those five sharp point all the way back :-)  Dean & Janice arrived just as we'd returned.  They suggested hanging it in the barn & that's what we'll do!  
Our route~
After a big drink of water, Farah enjoyed all the attention & had plenty of cookies! Before long she was sound asleep in the sun.

2 comments:

  1. All sounds splendid....except for the "holes." They are everywhere that terraces exist. As long as you know where they are and nobody is outside guarding the, it's safe~ So happy for your lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Always Welcome~