March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Monday, June 15, 2020

Hillsdale Lily Garden~

A bright, sunny & warm start to the week!  Our Glenwood Garden Club had scheduled a field trip to the Hillsdale Lily Garden.  We started out with ten members confirmed to go, but only four actually arrived at the farm.  Some had visited before - but with new varieties appearing on the market each year - there's always something new to see!
Todd explaining the fine points of daylilies~
Though the fields weren't yet in bloom, Todd had forced several of the newest varieties into early blooms, so we could see the amazing colors. The history of the daylily is as colorful as the flower.  Check out the American Daylily Society.
I didn't get the name of this stunner!
Lu explained how the flowers are grown, divided into different sections. Several varieties were already showing buds. I look forward to going back in a few weeks to see all the colors!
Acres of Daylilies~
Even though it was a very warm morning, there was ample shade provided by huge Walnut trees. Plenty of seating & notebooks full of information on the plants available, including price, size, bloom time etc.
Names of the varieties are at the beginning of each section~
There were several varieties that sounded interesting, but it was the photos, that drew my attention. I'd read about Going Bananas - a plant that is supposed bloom almost continuously. (But it's still a day lily!) The first were already opening in the field.
Going Banana's
The sale table was full of extra plants for $2.00! Who could walk away from that? I wanted at least one red & the Chicago Inferno was perfect. I bought three from the sale table.
Chicago Inferno
The plant below grabbed my attention from when we first saw the buggy full of blooming plants. I wanted a rebloomer - these get a blooms that last a day, but then more buds continue to open.
Sharky's Revenge
My last selection was the most extravagant - but the green color was so unique. Some lily's Todd explained, can take a year or two in a new location to gain their full color range.
Green Inferno
Lu & Todd started their daylily farm in 2015 & are just now realizing their dream of a busy, viable business. The Omaha World Herald ran an article on the farm.
Framed article on the farm~
I was disappointed at the turn-out... But with Covid-19 continuing to be at the forefront of the news, our Garden Club meetings have been few & far between. I'm sure we're not the only long-standing group to feel the effects.

I'm taking Butch back this weekend to purchase a herbicide Todd recommends to kill the reed canary grass. I have a patch of old fashioned daylily's at the corner of the marsh, overrun with the invasive. Clara noticed last year that at least one of them had a double bloom! I've been taking advantage of this patch to start others along the creek.

I spent the afternoon getting my purchases in the ground!  So looking forward to those blooms next summer!  Laura, Janice, Diane & I really appreciated Lu & Todd's hospitality. If you're in the area, a stop at this farm should be on your must-do list!
Further information at;  Hillsdale Lily Garden~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~