March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Sunday, June 28, 2020

Spring Ends~

In a rush!  We went from what I thought was a wonderful spring, to heat on June first!  Once it arrived, it stayed.  Since, we've just had a day or two here & there where the temperatures were moderate.  Very little rain to date, we're four inches below normal.
6-16-20 SW Corner~
Our view has changed pretty dramatically.  The Walnuts have taken over!  It seems like they've doubled in size with the honeysuckle gone.  The edible Elderberry, (blooming far left) are now huge!  Much nicer than nasty Autumn Olive.
5-23-20 Bleeding Heart~
 Very thankful for all my friends, (especially Clara) who've donated plants to my Timber project!  I want to re-do the page, for a better timeline, of my work to rehab to this area.
6-4-20 Wild Iris~
 The Wild Iris, from Jean, have doubled in size since last season.  They are thriving at the east end of the marsh.  I hope they continue to spread!
6-4-20 NW from the Swing~
 I've been spending hours & hours working on both the Marsh & Timber.  It's about keeping the weeds down & spot spraying.  I was still planting too, right to the end of June.  Butch put hoses all the way down the hill - so I can keep the newly introduced plants alive.
6-4-20 Tinkle Branch Trail~
 Weeds will be an ongoing issue, since the area is surrounded by them.  I keep a strip between our lots & the neighbors mowed down, which I hope will help.  My plan is to prevent the ones I can, from going to seed.
6-9-20 East - The Marsh~
 I thought the Marsh was no longer a Marsh, until we finally received a couple good rains!  The water appeared & it was so wet I couldn't get the mower through at all for a while.
Part-time resident Snapping Turtle~
Mr. Snapping Turtle returned too!  He made a huge hole in the mud & held his ground as I weed-whacked past him.
6-9-20 From the Marsh, West~
 It's so pretty down here now...  We put grass seed in all the areas left bare after removing the Autumn Olive & Bush Honeysuckle.  I'm keeping it mowed & hope eventually more natives will return.
6-13-20 New Signpost~
 My other project was the trail sign posts.  Butch cut the cedar & I did the lettering & painting.  This time, I found colored glass post caps.  They sparkle when the sun strikes them.
6-13-20 Timber Trail~
This is the trail that starts behind the Cabin & goes around the bottom of the hillside, before connecting with Tinkle Branch Trail.   Butch ordered 3-yards of mulch delivered.  I spend two-weeks getting it moved to the places I needed it.  It was more dust & pieces of plastic than mulch, but it covered the ground in my new flower beds.  After a heavy layer of preen, it should help with weed control.

The lightening bugs returned in June & fly through the woods in the evenings!  It's so much fun to stand at the top of the hill & watch them zipping between the trees. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~