March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Over 500-Miles to Date~

Without the challenge of keeping a talented equine athlete fit - I'm left with my own level of fitness...  Having always used my Garmin to record Farah's fitness, now I'm using it for personal goals.  This week - I passed the 500-mile mark riding Speedy - since April 15th.
Keg Creek~
 Either of the nearest trail-heads to our home are just under ten-miles away.  Not bad & I'm thankful for it!  I threw myself under the bus today though!  :-)  Since it was slated to be the last decent day in the next week, I decided to do two sections with good uphill grades.
Snake!
 With hot sunshine, along with the effort of pedaling a section of trail without the shade I'm used to  I Did see this guy slither out!  I stopped & carefully approached, wanting a photo this time!  He hissed, showing his forked tongue.
Why does the snake cross the road?
 He proceeded to continue out onto the trail & cross it - before disappearing into the grass!  I'm really, really glad these guys don't seem to like our place!
Coming into Margaritaville~
 Leaving Mineola, my destination this direction, was Margaritaville.  I rode on to Dumfries, to get in a full four-miles. 
Underpass at Dumfries~
 I turned back, soaked in sweat.
Speedy posing~
 Speedy insisted on a photo, she did look cute with the colorful sign.  The fun part was next!  Four-miles of downhill!  Yippee!  We flew!  Seventh gear got a good workout!

I didn't even stop - when we returned to the trail-head at Mineola.  Passing the Bronco, I headed south, toward Silver City.  It's another uphill grade, but only two-miles before the trail surface turns to concrete & another 2-miles of downhill.

Mari Jo was at her shop, she asked if I was going on to Malvern?  My answer?  "NO!"  Butch had a class to attend, so wasn't there to bring me back to the Bronco anyway.  I didn't feel like stretching my limits to over 30-miles.
circa - 1890 -1905
I always like asking questions about the towns in our area & their history.  Mari Jo is a wealth of information on Silver City & shared the above photo with me.  Happy Trails Cycle Shop was originally the newspaper office!   The large building on the right - was the lumber yard.

It was after 4 when I started back to Mineola.  This time, the climb came first.  The last two-miles to Mineola are a fine, fast ride!  Once home, Speedy got a bath.  When Butch is gone, Nika & I watch horse movies :-)  I highly recommend "Chasing the Wind".

A week or so ago, Grandson Ben went to visit Farah.  His phone was on speaker & he asked me to call out her name.  When I did, Nika came running - checking out both the front & back door - looking for Farah!  :-)  It did my heart good to know she still remembers our gold mare.

On I go - toward 1,000 miles on a bike!  More difficult than the first time with Farah!

2 comments:

  1. You obviously love a challenge, great accomplishment! I think you and Speedy should sign up for Pony Express 1900 mile challenge, then you’d have a medal too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of it - but will look it up! :-) Thanks!

      Delete

Always Welcome~