March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Close Encounter!

It had been six-weeks since I'd ridden the north end of the trail.  Butch dropped me off again in Council Bluffs & I was on the trail by 1.  The weatherman described it as another top-ten perfect day.  There were more people out riding than I usually see mid-week.
Ready to leave~
 This part of town is always a busy place.  Lots of truck traffic & additional parking has been striped along both sides of the drive to the trailhead parking.
Start of the trail~
 Once across the street, the trail beckons.  Lots of signage & the horse trail starts to the far right.  I appreciate it when I get a couple miles out & away from the noise.
Speedy & Naked Ladies  Horse path on the left, main trail on the right :-)
 The tall stems & beautiful pale pink of the Naked ladies are always so eye catching.  Our second year here - I thought the leaves sprouting up on the city easement were daffodils.  I busily planted them in several places - then watched as they died without producing flowers.  By this time of year - the blooms appeared!
Speedy by the huge Cottonwood~
 I had a group of five riders ahead of me, so took a detour to the horse trail.  It is so much more beautiful than the limestone.  This tree is easily missed from the main trail, but dominates the horse path.

By the time I was done getting a photo, the trail ahead was clear.  It's an uphill grade all the way to Margaritaville.  The riders ahead of me had just stopped there, I kept going.  I knew the next four-miles would be all downhill & I love that section!  Speedy hit 17-mph.
Toward Mineola~
 My favorite view here - is from a bench just off the trail, but somewhat secluded by the shrubbery.  A new memorial bench had been installed since my last visit in June.
Mineola Trailhead~
 Maiy Jo's sign for Happy Trails greets riders as they enter the Mineola area.  I took a short break here - at ten-miles.  I was doing good on time & had another 2+ miles of uphill before another downhill run into Silver City.

I stopped there, to chat with Mari Jo.  As I described how I'm using all seven gears now, Mari Jo explained I can have more added to Speedy - without having to buy a new bike. I may look into that.  The day was just so stellar, a few riders passed as we were talking.  I finished off a bottle of cold water before leaving for the last 8-mi. leg to Malvern.
My rock was still on the trestle where I'd left it!
I had passed a Mom & Dad with three smaller kids, so maybe one of them will find it!  Shortly after this - was when I had my encounter!  I saw a small animal come out on the trail quite a ways up ahead.  It's movement was a little different than anything I recognized?  Too large to be a Squirrel & too small to be a Badger or Woodchuck.  As these thoughts were running through my head - I'd closed the gap enough to see black & white!  A Skunk!  By now, he was about in the middle of the trail!  I decided stopping would not be the thing to do, so moved to the far left & put Speedy in high gear!  We flew by Mr. Skunk So fast I don't think he'd realized we were there - until we were gone!  Looking back over my shoulder, I saw him hesitate, then move off into the brush.  Whew!

My timing couldn't have been better.  Butch was finishing his day at Agriland.  I'd gone the 22+ miles with a moving time of 2:50 hrs.  Almost exactly the time it had taken me in June, but my moving speed had gone up a little.  The heat is due to return with a vengeance - now we've all been spoiled for over a week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~