March ~

Endurance develops strength of character in us~ Romans 5:4 NLT
We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps~ Proverbs 16.9

Saturday, August 8, 2020

Zucchini Relish & Memory Lane~

I was getting desperate!  We were down to one lonely jar of my canned zucchini relish!  I've made this on my own, since my very dear friend LaVonne shared her recipe with me.  Never a fan of relish - the first time I tried hers, I changed my mind!
Yes, adding lots of steam to the house!
 Every summer, when I knew LaVonne was canning - I'd head over to beg a few jars :-)  Finally - she said;  "Connie, I'm going to give you my recipe & teach you how to do this on your own!"  Well!  Not exactly what I'd expected - but I was game to give it a try!

On Wed. evening we went to our local farmer's market on the square & I bought out one stand of zucchini.  On for fresh carrots, onions & other secret ingredients!
Waiting for the low simmer~
 Yesterday afternoon, I spend peeling, cutting, chopping & then soaking all the ingredients in a salt brine.   I had only sketchily written one key part of the recipe - which necessitated a call to LaVonne!  How very good it was to hear her voice after all these years!

We had met just shortly after Butch & I were married.  We had a few dollars as a wedding gift & went to the mall to spend it on necessities.  There was a booth - similar to the one below, with this couple selling bee products.  (Ron was a Bee Keeper - his honey was admired & enjoyed by everyone in Washington State!)  That meeting was the beginning of many - very long stories & a friendship that survives the years.
Ron - August 1992
Ron's untimely death - just five-years ago - was a huge loss to every single person who had ever known him.  This was a man who helped anyone in need.  His warmth, honesty, generosity & strength of character are to this day legendary.  He & LaVonne had a marriage strong as bedrock & envied by all who knew them.  LaVonne has shown that same strength - moving on in life - without him.
Jentry getting a ride on Ron's bee boom!  May, 1984
 This wonderful couple adopted us.  We were so young, had two girls to raise & they made us feel like family from that first meeting.  The years rolled on.  They knew we wanted a place in the country & one afternoon took us up to see a a beautiful property just outside Granite Falls.  It was too much for us to take on at the time, but guess who ended up buying it & moving to the country?!
LaVonne & Ron - watching as their first Grandchild is christened.  7-4-1988
 We drove up often & in a couple more years, were taking them to see another property, just on the other side of the river.  Only three-miles away - what became the Homestead!

We were always there for each other - in the tough times & the happy times!  We shared holidays, birthday's & loved attending the yearly Christmas Party & pot luck at the Babcocks!   We talked for over an hour & it was like we'd seen each other yesterday.
Finished product~
I spent this afternoon cooking, filling jars & boiling water!  I couldn't help but remember all the good times & wonderful experiences our two families shared.  LaVonne has been our dear friend for almost 38-years now.  That's a bushel full of memories!  P.S.  We learned a LOT about Bees!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always Welcome~